300K pots for strat project?

What's Hot
Putting together a strat build - alder body, all maple neck, pickups are fairly normal single coil type: A3 5.9K neck, A2 6.4K middle, A2 8K bridge. So before I order the pots, are there any views on the merits of using 300K vs 250K? Cheers! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    All pots have a 10% tolerance if not worse - so you may find that a 300k pot could read 270k which is like a high tolerance 250k.
    I have just checked all my CTS 300k pots and they all range from 260k to 300k with most falling in the 275k range 
    NONE were over the rated 300k though.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    No point at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    All pots have a 10% tolerance if not worse - so you may find that a 300k pot could read 270k which is like a high tolerance 250k.
    I have just checked all my CTS 300k pots and they all range from 260k to 300k with most falling in the 275k range 
    NONE were over the rated 300k though.
    ICBM said:
    No point at all.
    Cheers gents - @ICBM, is this because the difference is not detectable audibly, or because strat pickups are made with 250K in mind? It seems to me that if I buy 300K pots, I at least make it unlikely I'll receive any that measure substantially below 250K.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Megii said:

@ICBM, is this because the difference is not detectable audibly, or because strat pickups are made with 250K in mind?
    Because it's not audible, at least from a reasonably close-tolerance 250K pot. When I experimented with directly switching different values I found that it needed about a 33% difference upwards (ie over about 330K) to even be audible at all.

Megii said:

It seems to me that if I buy 300K pots, I at least make it unlikely I'll receive any that measure substantially below 250K.
    That's true, but since Strats are inherently bright guitars and you're not putting in any very high-wound pickups (even the bridge), I doubt lack of top-end will be a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Megii said:

@ICBM, is this because the difference is not detectable audibly, or because strat pickups are made with 250K in mind?
    Because it's not audible, at least from a reasonably close-tolerance 250K pot. When I experimented with directly switching different values I found that it needed about a 33% difference upwards (ie over about 330K) to even be audible at all.

Megii said:

It seems to me that if I buy 300K pots, I at least make it unlikely I'll receive any that measure substantially below 250K.
    That's true, but since Strats are inherently bright guitars and you're not putting in any very high-wound pickups (even the bridge), I doubt lack of top-end will be a problem.
    Much appreciate your further reply to what is probably a fairly trivial question, but at least I have a reasonable understanding of things now, and I guess I'll leave this one at that, cheers :)
    @ICBM ; - if I could just beg for one more bit of your kind advice - I went ahead and ordered a couple of Bourns 250K audio pots, and I measure them at 245K and 225K. Simple question, for the sake of any difference it might make, which would you use for the master volume and which for master tone? (The 3rd pot is to be a blend control, for which I already have a "no load" 250K pot ready). :)
    Embarrassed to find, after a search, that I already asked this question re pot values for volume/tone, but in case of interest https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1629302/#Comment_1629302