Lightning the load - Update

What's Hot
wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
edited July 2019 in Bass
My present set up is an old SWR working mans 1x10 combo with matching 1x10, there was a time when I could carry the combo in one hand with the ext. cab in the other, sadly now those days are gone.
Plan A is to remove the amp section & convert the combo into an ext cab then powering up the 2 10” cabs with a “micro” head.
Three heads have caught my eye, Trace Elliot Elf, TC bh250 & GK mb200, any users on the forum have experience of these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    I’ve tried all three, although not used any of them in a band context.

The Trace seemed very underpowered - not even close to as loud as the claimed 200W. The GK was a little better, but not much. The TC was the best-sounding and loudest of the three, but they don’t seem to have a good reputation for reliability - that said, I haven’t seen any dead ones personally.

I would look for something more powerful. These are all unnecessarily small - you can get much better-sounding amps in the 500W range which aren’t really significantly bigger and heavier in practical terms, eg the Markbass Little Mark.

If you can afford it I would get better and lighter cab(s) than the SWR too - like the matching Mark cabs, or Barefaced - and just sell the old set-up.

Just my opinion...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Have a look at Mark Bass.
    They do loud, affordable (ish) and light bass rigs.
    I have a dual 10” combo that weighs nothing and sounds great.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Some Fender Rumble models are available as a separate head. Unfortunately, the wattage ratings can be misleading - only achievable with an extension cabinet connected.

The tc electronic RH stuff would be portable as a head and two 1x12" cabs. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    octatonic said:
    Have a look at Mark Bass.
    They do loud, affordable (ish) and light bass rigs.
    I have a dual 10” combo that weighs nothing and sounds great.
    Out of interest which one do you have, my main issue is playing in a “classic “ jazz trio in this part of the world doesn’t pay much (more a labour of love) so I’m trying to keep costs down. 
    Regarding TC bass gear I am worried about reliability, another option might be a lighter combo, Mansons have a new Ibanez Promethean which is light as a feather but I think this newer version doesn’t have a good reputation over the original model.
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    I went down the light weight route a good few years back. I loved the Genz Benz Shuttle 6, used it for four or five years and it was superb. The only time it played up was at a festival when the band was using some dodgy old generator.
    About four years back, not out of necessity but just because I fancied a change, I treated myself to a GK Fusion 500 (or is it 550, can't recall), anyway no plans to change again: it's versatile, powerful and sounds great. Plus, my insides don't try to escape through my hernia when I lift it.   

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    wrinkleygit said:

Mansons have a new Ibanez Promethean which is light as a feather but I think this newer version doesn’t have a good reputation over the original model.
    I have the old version, and I've tried a new one - it really is nowhere near as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I found that the easiest way to lighten the load was to switch to guitar :)

The bass player in my band just switched to a Fender Rumble rig (head and two cabs, although he mostly uses just the one).  I was very impressed with the sound but also how light the cabs were compared to what I used to use 'back in the day'.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    If it's a classic jazz trio - then I'd vote Markbass as well.

I'd go for the Little Marcus 2x10 combo

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/marcus-miller-cmd-102-500/

The Little Mark and the Little Marcus models look very similar but the main difference is in the EQ freqs. On the standard one there is a bit of a hole that means any sound probs in that banding can be a pain to fix. The Marcus versions have solved that.

Then again the standard 2x10 has been around longer and can be found used far more reasonably
    http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/cmd-102p/

If the 2x10 is a bit big, then the CMD 121H combo is also very good. There is a smaller still 1x12 - the 121P but it doesn't sound nearly as good. The cab part is too small really.

The 2x10 and the 1x12 sometimes come up used at half the new price. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have a Barefaces One10 that amazes me every time I plug it in - it's 7kg coupled with one of the many class D heads out there (I use an Ampeg PF-350) and you have a great sounding giggable set-up thats under 10 kg
    My half new Barefaced and Mark Bass rig...

2nd cab not in use in the house!
    edited July 2019
    And mine so can get an idea of the size of these little things

How are you getting on with the Ampeg?

I have zero cab lust anymore and now I'm thinking about a collection of small bass heads! :D 
    @fretmeister ; - Love it!  Does the vintage Ampeg thing very well, but also can do quite modern too, It was cheap as chips (£150) second hand, might get a PF500 for a few more features and watts.

Saying that I'm mainly using my HX stomp in to the FX return which sounds great, and I'm trying to avoid going down the amp collection route I've been down with Guitars :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    Decided to push the boat out & went to look at a Markbass 121h combo & matching cab that was offered at a bargain price , sadly that was even heavier than my SWR set up so its back to the drawing board, for info the working mans 10 combo is 39lbs & cab is 30lbs on my bathroom scales
  • Not sure on your budget, but how about this as your head solution?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/161079/markbass-little-mark-iii-350
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Instead of replacing your kit, consider getting a small pull along truck to move your rig about. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Instead of replacing your kit, consider getting a small pull along truck to move your rig about. 
    Doesn't help with stairs or getting it in and out of a car.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Rocker said:
    Doesn't help with stairs or getting it in and out of a car.

Very true my friend but if the OP likes the sound of his kit as it is, something, apart from the weight of it, might be lost if he gets new kit.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    John_A said:
    @fretmeister ; - Love it!  Does the vintage Ampeg thing very well, but also can do quite modern too, It was cheap as chips (£150) second hand, might get a PF500 for a few more features and watts.

Saying that I'm mainly using my HX stomp in to the FX return which sounds great, and I'm trying to avoid going down the amp collection route I've been down with Guitars :)
    I also have the PF350 and love it. It doesn't *quite* grind as much as my SVT450, but is loud as balls even into 8ohms and just sounds really musical all the time; probably as a result of just having 3 band EQ so less stuff for me to fuck up.
    This has just popped up on Basschat.
    I don't know the seller and I've not tried that model, but Mark bass are great

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/347135-markbass-richard-bona-102-ninja-combo/