Electo Acoustic options. Opinions please.

What's Hot

I seem to have wandered off down  rabbit hole.

Ive been playing for about 30 years and I have lots of electrics.  Early on in my playing I bought a dreadnought acoustic and I have dabbled with it from time to time but its a bit big and the string tension is a bit much compared to the electrics so it mostly just sits in the corner.

However a couple of weeks ago while away for the weekend with Mrs T we passed a small guitar shop (closed because it was Sunday) and in their window was a very nice looking Tanglewood twr sfce ii, electro acoustic.  I was taken by the relatively small and thin body and this has sparked my interest in acoustics again

Once home i started a bit of internet research and in the same price bracket as the Tanglewood I also find the Yamaha APX600 and the Fender Newporter.  All appear to be a similar shape and size and all get good reviews.

Unfortunately I can’t find a shop that stocks all three.  Many have one or two but to try all three would involve a lot of travelling.

So, has anyone got an opinion or alternatives that I should also consider. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

Don't know how much you want to spend, but some of the budget Martins can sound very good.  They are the ones made with non-traditional materials (HPL back and sides etc) but they do sound good - much better than a Yamaha APX in my opinion.  There is the small bodied one like Sheeran uses, or an OOO which is a bit bigger, but still significantly smaller than a dreadnought.

Regarding the string tension thing, that will still be an issue on a lot of those guitars.  It's to do with the heavier strings, and the fact that you want a bit more clearance off the frets to avoid buzzing, so the action will probably be a bit higher.

Whatever acoustic you use, it would make sense to not have too heavy a string gauge on it.  I use 11s on my acoustics.  You can buy acoustic 10s.  I've used them in the past. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited July 2019
    I think it's important to consider whether you need an electro acoustic?
     I'm not suggesting that those aren't decent guitars, but at that price point as you're paying for electronics, it's likely that pure acoustic tone will be compromised and most likely designed to be primarily amplified. Why not consider a purely acoustic instrument?

There are plenty of options in terms of size: 000, 00, GS, GA, parlour, etc.* All of these will be more comfortable to play than a dread. If you can push the budget a bit further. £300 - £350 maybe? You can get a decent guitar with a good acoustic tone. 

Sigma's are often mentioned as good instruments at this price point but plenty of others available as well.

*What type of music you wish to play may also be a factor in choice of size or type.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Cheers chaps.  Lots of food for thought there and Ill look at some other purely acoustic options as well to endure I have covered the bases.  I wasn't really looking for another guitar until I spotted this on tin the shop window so as i said I've gone off on a bit of an unexpected journey.  Budgetwise Im looking at £300 max hence looking at the Yamaha.   It doesn't have to be an electo acoustic - I just haven't got one and why not.  As for styles - stumalongs and noodley blues rock.  I suspect the Martins will be out of my price range but will have a look.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Cheers chaps.  Lots of food for thought there and Ill look at some other purely acoustic options as well to endure I have covered the bases.  I wasn't really looking for another guitar until I spotted this on tin the shop window so as i said I've gone off on a bit of an unexpected journey.  Budgetwise Im looking at £300 max hence looking at the Yamaha.   It doesn't have to be an electo acoustic - I just haven't got one and why not.  As for styles - stumalongs and noodley blues rock.  I suspect the Martins will be out of my price range but will have a look.
    You might find one of those Martin's second hand.  I've moved it on now, but I bought mine for £500ish new, so you might be able to find one for around £300 if you are patient.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Yamaha APX is a great guitar sounds pretty good acoustically and feels great to play - plug it into a pa and then they really show their worth. As an electric player the APX was a revelation I have one and would buy another in a heart beat if I needed to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Nikc said:
    Yamaha APX is a great guitar sounds pretty good acoustically and feels great to play - plug it into a pa and then they really show their worth. As an electric player the APX was a revelation I have one and would buy another in a heart beat if I needed to. 
    @Nikc Cheers dude, that's really helpful.

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Nikc said:
    @Nikc Cheers dude, that's really helpful.
    No worries; I borrowed mine used after a quick play in my local shop - it just felt 'right'. I took it out for an open mic two days later and that was it she had to stay ;) 
    I get lots of comments about the sound and then the look of shock when I say how much they are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom