Another question for Audacity users

What's Hot
Some music on CDs/Records sounds a few cents sharp or flat when replayed through a stereo.  What is the easiest and simplest way, using Audacity, to speed up or slow down the replay to make the output concert pitch?  I have several songs that I enjoy jamming along to, songs that need a slight downtune [nowhere near a semitone, just a whisker] but am getting fed up doing this several times an evening as all the songs are slightly off concert pitch but not all to the same degree.  I hope to adjust the replay speed or whatever is suggested and save the file in my playlist.  Thus getting it to replay in concert pitch.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited August 2019
    Rocker said:
    Some music on CDs/Records sounds a few cents sharp or flat when replayed through a stereo.  
    Can't say I've ever had this problem. Do you have perfect pitch? 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    You have two options in Audacity - select/highlight the entire file and click on the 'Effect' drop down where you will find ...

Change Pitch  which will shift the pitch without changing the tempo

or

Change Speed which will shift pitch and tempo proportionately.

It may take a bit of trial and error to get the correct shift but once you have it correct, you can process the whole file and save a new pitch/speed corrected version for when you wish to play along.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Branshen said:
    Rocker said:
    Some music on CDs/Records sounds a few cents sharp or flat when replayed through a stereo.  
    Can't say I've ever had this problem. Do you have perfect pitch? 
    No I don't have perfect pitch but take a song like 'Desperados waiting for a train' by Guy Clark as an example.  The song is not quite in D, close but not there.  I find it impossible to jam along if the song and my guitar are not in unison.  My usual practice is to play the song while adjusting the D string until it sounds in tune with the song.  Then retune the other strings to match the tuning on the D string.  So I hope to adjust the pitch to standard using the software Audacity.  In Audacity it is no problem raising or lowering the pitch by a semitone.  But my problem is that the pitch is out by only a few cents...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    You can change the pitch by percentage for those slightly off concert pitch recordings.