Wiring Help

Hi,
I'm thinking of rewiring my HSH Ibanez a bit to make it even more versatile.  It has 1 volume, 1 tone and a 5 way blade, the humbuckers are hot but I'm gonna change out the single soon as it sucks.

I'm thinking to put a push pull volume pot in that coil splits both humbuckers in all 5 positions.
I was also originally thinking that I would have a tone push pull to add the neck pickup (wether HB or SC, depending on volume pushpull state) to positions 1 and 2.

Are there any wiring diagrams that anyone has to do this kind of setup as I can't find any or is it too complex and stupid, etc etc... Let me know what you think.

My current switch setup:
5- Neck HB
4- Neck HB (split inner coil) + Middle SC
3- Middle SC
2- Bridge HB (split inner coil) + Middle SC
1- Bridge HB

Also, while I'm making a post, if there are any good strat single sounding pups you'd recommend for the middle, let me know!

Really appreciate any help,
Tom
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Difficult to recommend a suitable replacement S sized middle pickup without knowing exactly how powerful the humbuckers are. 

Difficult to recommend a specific replacement selector switch without knowing how much space is available in the guitar to accommodate it. OTAX and Schaller both offer 24-contact Superswitches on a single thickness PCB.

Finally, do you need the replacement middle pickup to be noise-cancelling in its own right?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've tried to find the specs of the humbuckers but they're stock so I can't find anything. I'd say v.hot though...
    Noise cancelling would be cool but it depends on price, if there is a better sounding pup for the same price I'd go for that.  there are just so many that I'll start looking at them and give up after 5 minutes ahah

Cheers
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2579
    tFB Trader
    I have an ibanez wired the same way and it sound crap in every position other than 1 and 5

I have recently played another guitar with HSH which sounded better, the big difference was the single coil was never on alone
    Knowing the guitar model number would help.

With some lower priced Ibanez HSH guitars, the chief problem is that the pickups themselves are not very good. The switching is a secondary consideration.
  • Knowing the guitar model number would help.

With some lower priced Ibanez HSH guitars, the chief problem is that the pickups themselves are not very good. The switching is a secondary consideration.
    RG370AHMZ, I like the HBs, just not the middle single. It's ok, but it's just that. No character or mojo if you will in it however...
  • I have an ibanez wired the same way and it sound crap in every position other than 1 and 5

I have recently played another guitar with HSH which sounded better, the big difference was the single coil was never on alone
    Hm, what was on in each position? Sounds like a weird wiring for any HSH I've seen/played
    Probably, a Superswitch yielding bridge PU only, split bridge + middle, bridge + neck, middle + split neck, neck PU only.