Lowering the action Martin?

What's Hot
Hey, how easy is it to drop the bridge a bit on a Martin om28?
i love it but it can be difficult to play the finger style but i admit im an electric player so used to low action etc 
thinking about trying to lower it a tiny bit

ts
Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Sanding down the saddle on the bridge is a very easy DIY job as long as you go carefully -  and there are plenty of YouTube videos and advice on this forum to show you how. However, I'd recommend taking it to a decent tech to adjust the neck relief (truss rod) and nut slot heights as well to optimise the action.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Perhaps worth checking that the slots on the nut aren't too high first?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    What’s the current height of the saddle?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    This seems to be a typical issue with most Martins, off the factory. Even higher end ones.
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    ^All good advice
      If its the first time  buy a spare saddle and nut  work on those to keep it playable if things go wrong.
      Bone is a great choice sonically.
    if you want a vegetarian option Nu Bone or Tusq (not quite as hard wearing as bone)-
         but sound as good.
        Sand (or file) the bottom of the saddle for main adjustment..

If going for the truss rod best to adjust a little at a time-
        best turned with strings slack.
       Industry standard relief is 20 thou"                                                            :o
       Anywhere between 20" and 2" can be optimal depending on the neck.
        If adjusting in the winter expect it to tighten (by itself (relative humidity)) in the summer-
         Acoustics are much more prone to this than Solidbody Electrics.
    When logic and proportion
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4196

Industry standard relief is 20 thou"                                                            :o

Where are you getting that info from? That is an incredibly large amount of relief and a long way from any industry standard I'm aware of. Martin specify between .005 - .010", Collings and similar all gravitate towards .005"

Do not put .020" relief on your neck if playability is your goal (which would appear to be the case from the OP).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:

Industry standard relief is 20 thou"                                                            o

Where are you getting that info from? That is an incredibly large amount of relief and a long way from any industry standard I'm aware of. Martin specify between .005 - .010", Collings and similar all gravitate towards .005"

Do not put .020" relief on your neck if playability is your goal (which would appear to be the case from the OP).
      Sadly from most books I've read on how to set up an acoustic-hence the emoji.
        Which is why i suggested (from my experience) trying as low as .002"
          For clarity the least relief you can get away with for maximum playability is best.

Setting for no relief risks bowback in humid conditions.

Lewy said:

Industry standard relief is 20 thou"                                                            o

Sadly from most books I've read on how to set up an acoustic-hence the emoji.
        Which is why i suggested (from my experience) trying as low as .002"
          For clarity the least relief you can get away with for maximum playability is best.

Setting for no relief risks bowback in humid conditions.

Ah sorry I missed the emoji. I read it as you advising .020" as the way to go!
    Lewy said:
    Ah sorry I missed the emoji. I read it as you advising .020" as the way to go!
      No stress,and good info from you too.
        Can be tricky putting together an imformative post without it turning into War and Peace-too long.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    Pretty sure stewmac recommend .020”. Seems crazy. Would be bloody horrible to play. 
    edited August 2019
    brucegill said:
    Pretty sure stewmac recommend .020”. Seems crazy. Would be bloody horrible to play. 
      Sometimes required if the neck/frets are in horrible condition.
         Or if the 'player' batters the f**k out of the strings.

Its a nasty compromise.
  • I think it's advisable to adjust the nut and the neck relief before deciding on whether to adjust the saddle height.
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited August 2019
    Thanks all ill study some videos i figured it would be some kind of manual sanding down the saddle. I setup all my own electrics so no probs there ive done alot just not an acoustic. I checked the neck relief and its all good just like 1 mm maybe at the 10th fret but its like (eyeballing it) at least 5mm at the 12th fret maybe more!
    The nut looks perfect to be honest but i havent measured anything 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Thanks all ill study some videos i figured it would be some kind of manual sanding down the saddle. I setup all my own electrics so no probs there ive done alot just not an acoustic. I checked the neck relief and its all good just like 1 mm maybe at the 10th fret but its like (eyeballing it) at least 5mm at the 12th fret maybe more!
    If the RELIEF is that there's something wrong - do you mean the action? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Thanks all ill study some videos i figured it would be some kind of manual sanding down the saddle. I setup all my own electrics so no probs there ive done alot just not an acoustic. I checked the neck relief and its all good just like 1 mm maybe at the 10th fret but its like (eyeballing it) at least 5mm at the 12th fret maybe more!

1.  I hope you don't mean relief.

2. How does it go from 1mm to 5mm in a distance of just 2 frets?
  • Yeh i see the confusion in how i wrote that. Its 1mm at the 10th when i fret first n last fret the relief if fine. The action seems high to me its around 5mm at the 12th fret without fretting anywhere (eyeballing it only) havent got access to my tools now
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    1mm of relief is too much
    Red ones are better. 
    edited August 2019
    ^ Agreed- 
      If using old school measuring kit optimally somewhere between a rizzla packet lid and a rizzla.
    TimmyO said:
    1mm of relief is too much
    Yep that's .039" so basically at least four to eight times more than you should be shooting for if you want a good mid-neck action. Don't go messing with anything until that's taken care of!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    put a capo on the first fret, and then assess if the action is too high. If not, it's the nut causing the problem
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom