Anyone tried pre-war guitar company guitars?

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
edited August 2019 in Acoustics
https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

And if so which model did you try and what's your opinion?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Nope, only that fab D-18 on the Molly Tuttle vid. They're possibly impossible to find in the UK and the prices are no joke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    yes, they're quite expensive. They look very interesting, as collings have already made their way to the UK I was hoping maybe someone had already been able to grab a hold of one of these as well.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    I looked at them but ended up getting a Preston Thompson d ma d 18 style guitar....killer acoustic totally ended my search
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thanks, did you get to play any?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    nope did the usual internet trawl took my punt with the Thompson
    edited August 2019
    fair enough, will also check the Preston Thompson guitars. Thanks
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited August 2019
    If that’s your thing then Atkins forty three is obviously worth a look. Think there’s relic-ing options too.  I can’t recall ever seeing a Pre War over here. 
    I did look at the Atkins, but admittedly haven't been able to play them. However from experience, I know that on Martins I tend to like Adi tops more than Sitka (a bit of a sweeping statement I know).
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4202
    To be honest, I'd order one just on the strength of the caliber of the players who are playing them....David Grier, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Newberry, Molly Tuttle....Martin, Bourgeois, Collings and others would give these players all the guitars they could want but they're playing and promoting these...
    Yes there are some heavy weight players promoting these. And they do look well built. Not a fan of the distressing/relicing, but that's a different story.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4202
    brooom said:
    Yes there are some heavy weight players promoting these. And they do look well built. Not a fan of the distressing/relicing, but that's a different story.
    It's a by-product of getting the finish that thin though I guess. You just can't achieve that thinness and still have a pristine looking guitar. Their Level 1 aging looks extremely subtle, no play wear etc.
    edited August 2019
    Absolutely I don't mind the finish not being pristine as a trade off. But I'd have to go for a subtle (no play wear) type of finish.

I currently have one of myfavoriteguitars' Martin 000-18 Adi top/golden era bracing and I love it. So I'm going to have a long think about these. And maybe check whether a bigger slope should or D-18 would be my kind of thing.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Maybe you could get Boris to bring you one back next time he’s over begging for trade deals. 
    I sure wouldn’t drop that kinda money on an un-played guitar no matter who owns one. 
    edited August 2019
    Is he a friend of yours? I'll try not to bother him with it, I'm sure he's got enough on his plate... you know with all the selling out of the NHS and everything.
  • Would love to try these - trying to
    convince a friend of mine to stock them over here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    wow, let me know if you do manage to persuade him.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    They do seem to be the flavour of the month of late. They also seem to be fairly priced in comparison to, say, an authentic Martin but it's more money than I personally feel comfortable investing in a guitar (I'd start to get obsessed by humidity, etc.). A bog standard series Martin like a D-18 doesn't have the thin finish and some of the other authentic details but IMO represents great value for money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom