Mics and wireless mics

What's Hot
So a new singer to wants to buy her first mic. I was thinking SM58 but any other things to consider? I'm sure some people said certain mics are better for vocal voices? Also, a wireless option would be welcome! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Hard to go wrong with a 58.  I prefer the beta 58 and beta 57 as it has a better gain before feedback and clarity imo but I carry all of them as well as sennheiser 845 and 865 when I’m doh g PA work.    
    All do a decent job and it’s probably a good idea to try some to see if she likes the sound and feel.    Others worth a look are Audix and AKG D5 and some people here are using Samson as a low cost option.  

For wireless options I have the Shure slx and glxd beta 58 mics and a Sennheiser G3 ew300.    Again they all work fine and it’s largely down to taste. 
    I’d visit a shop with decent stock or talk to a local PA guy that might have a selection she can try.  
    Be be careful buying used mics as there are a lot of fake Shure and sennheiser out there. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412

The old 58 is a fine mic but there are other options out there. What kind of mic you use depends on how the singer projects really more than anything else ..... If the singer really belts it out then a mic with a standard pattern like a 58 is fine. If their style is quieter than something with a tighter pattern ... like a Senn E945 would work better

Remember in a live situation the vocal mic also picks up drums and everything else, so the first objective is to minimize that

You need to be careful these days with wireless. The license free band is very small and congested. The 2.4G kit shares too much with wifi, door bells, baby alarms and god knows what else. I would go for something on the 1785 to 1805 with a channel 38 license ... about £75 a year

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I would suggest the wireless option, a secondhand quality unit Sennheiser or Shure will be better than new cheapest option ( ew100 vs Xs range in Sennheiser) spare capsules and replacement grills are available to revitalise old mics. As to frequencies as @Danny1969 said if you are just using one mic for average gigs you’ll be fine go for licence free. If your going to have a lot of radio gear and play next to the local airport or at festivals then look into licensed gear.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Jetfire said:
    So a new singer to wants to buy her first mic. I was thinking SM58 but any other things to consider? I'm sure some people said certain mics are better for vocal voices? Also, a wireless option would be welcome! 
    Try some first, if you can. Some voices are better with specific mics, which you can only really find out by trying them.

FWIW, I carry SM58s, SM57, OM7, and e945. One of the vocalists in my band uses a D5.

HTH,

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom