A goodbye to GAS...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
... perhaps.

Over the years I've owned various guitars and despite normally having four-ish on the go at the same time have always been lusting after 'just one more'.

Anyways, have recently bought a Roland Blues Cube amp, and a J Rockett Blue Note overdrive. Combined with my Strat I've finally nailed the 'sound in my head'. Not only that but, for the first time, I don't find myself scanning the 'net for my next guitar/amp/pedal (delete as appropriate).

Conclusion: GAS is not an end in itself - it's an exciting, and occasionally frustrating, journey to your perfect set-up. (Blimey - that last sentence almost sounds deep and meaningful rather than shallow and pointless.)
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Pah - the 'sound in my head' shifts like the sands of a desert. GAS will always be with me and I'm happy with that. 

Now excuse me while I pop back to the classifieds to see what's around. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    Although I strongly disagree with people that go online and try to preach to other people that they have too many guitars. I realise this is not what you're trying to do here.

I think it's awesome that you're genuinely excited about simplifying your setup and hope you keep it that way and it makes you find more time to focus on improving what really matters... playing.

I've been trying to basically do the same thing, although there's no perfect sound in my head. There's a combination of things I like, so it's always good to have lots of different stuff to get lots of different sounds/playing experiences at one given time. I do however find myself missing the freedom of having that one guitar/amp combination that does it all for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    cue Tony Peluso solo .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    I have been at that station before, then at some point I've got back on the train and started the journey again.

Whether that turns out to be your final stop or not, it's a lovely place to be for as long as you are :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    dazzajl said:
    I have been at that station before, then at some point I've got back on the train and started the journey again.

Whether that turns out to be your final stop or not, it's a lovely place to be for as long as you are :)
    WIS'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    brooom said:
    Although I strongly disagree with people that go online and try to preach to other people that they have too many guitars. I realise this is not what you're trying to do here.
    I did that for a while, back when I cut myself down to just two main guitars and a sentimental one I never played.

I've recently had to give away a guitar that I built a while back, because I was back up to eight guitars, six of which never get played!

My recent build fills the only remaining gap - oddly, a dual-humbucker hardtail superstrat-type thing. I think I'm going to get a SD '59 to put in the neck position, but that's basically it in terms of GAS for me; the Helix/Powerstage 170/Matrix NL212 rig is here to stay and has cured me of all effects/amps GAS.

Weirdly, having been in this position for a while, I don't seem to have suddenly become musically productive. I think something's broken.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    I guess sometimes you just lose your will to try and approach new music a bit... even when you get rid of all the complexity around, so I completely understand that. To be honest the same thing might happen to me. Getting rid of everything does not necessarily mean you will regain your interest. But in some cases it might help.

However if someone wants to have loads of guitars, it's definitely not my business. As long as everyone is happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Everyone has different priorities, objectives and budgets. If you're living life as a decent human and helping your fellow man/giving to charity/generally not being an arsehole, it's  notmy place to tell you what to do. 

That said: I find it interesting how many people try a bunch of stuff and basically come back full circle. In my case, I'm basically using my rig of nearly 20 odd years ago - strat, ycv40 & a few pedals (about half haven't changed). I've added a Blues Cube and a Tele to the mix, but it's basically the same sound, perhaps with a better ear for nuance. 

We're spoiled rotten these days, though. So much choice, and cheap gear is now pretty good. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Blues cube mentioned a couple of times here. For reference, what regular valve amp does it sound the most like?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited August 2019
    TINMAN82 said:
    Blues cube mentioned a couple of times here. For reference, what regular valve amp does it sound the most like?
    Mine’s the Blues Cube Stage - very Fendery, probably a Bassman Tweed.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    You'll be back. You'll be bored of that sound in a week. 

What's wrong with GAS? Most of us on here a hobiests and getting a new toy every now and again is part of the fun. 

Never got these people who just get one guitar and focus on practice.... so dull and who cares if you can play like Slash if your gear looks rubbish and your tone is like a Megadrive game ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    My GAS has always been for the opposite reason - there's never been one specific tone in my head I've tried to search for through gear, I've always wanted a variety of tones available and when I've bought other guitars it's to give me extra options.

I've now decided to cut down to two guitars though because there's times when I'm playing a part with a different guitar and want humbuckers instead and there's times I'm playing a part with another guitar and felt a Strat would be perfect for the part. But, for example, despite how great P90s sound, I don't think I've ever been playing a part on a non-P90 guitar and thought that P90s is exactly what's needed now.

I want to get down to two guitars to cut down on a kind of option paralysis that can be distracting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    HAL9000 said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Mine’s the Blues Cube Stage - very Fendery, probably a Bassman Tweed.
    That's what they say it's modelled after. The stock amp, anyway
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited August 2019
    My GAS impulses these days are mostly driven by convenience rather than chasing a sound. I’ve found the sound I like, I just wish it was a bit easier to lug around! 

That said, I don’t currently *need* to lug things around much - if that changes and I start playing out a lot more then a solution might become obvious, until then I suppose I’m just second guessing what *might* be the best setup. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I can't afford GAS.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    You’ll never be completely cured. That must have guitar/ amplifier is lurking out there just waiting for you.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    brooom said:
    I think it's awesome that you're genuinely excited about simplifying your setup and hope you keep it that way and it makes you find more time to focus on improving what really matters... playing.
    Thanks. Well, one month in and I’ve still not been scanning the classifieds! I have, however, been listening to plenty of Clapton, Peter Green, Elmore James, Howlin’ Wolf, BB King, etc, and working my way through some songs, licks, solos, etc and am honestly more genuinely excited and inspired than I have been in a long time.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I've had a Blues junior for 3 years, PRS Santana se for nearly as long and a Tele (which was a present) for over a year plus Tube screamer - I haven't thought seriously about buying any other electric for quite a while no GAS at all - its a good place to be ;)