Telecaster 52 Hotrod pickguard

What's Hot
smooresmoore Frets: 30
Morning all

20th wedding anniversary yesterday, my wife bought me a guitar I've been looking at for a while now, a 52 Tele Hotrod.

Absolutely awesome guitar, with a couple of knocks on it which I'm fine with but there is a slight crack in the pick guard.

I didn't think it would be so hard to find a replacement, but struggling to find anywhere that stocks them, there is one on Ebay for £15 but not sure as it's not original and sold by a company I've never heard of from the Netherlands.

Any ideas where I can get one, original ideally but it not at least somebody in the UK?

Many thanks,

Simon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What colour are you after and what are the dimensions of your neck pickup? I think I have a black, possibly bwb, one but the pickup dimensions can vary.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • smooresmoore Frets: 30
    Hi

Thanks for replying, it a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker, size is apex 25mm x 65mm

And it's black that I'm after

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9616
    Send the old one to Jack's Instrument Services to make a copy. It'll be more than £15 though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smoore said:
    Hi

Thanks for replying, it a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker, size is apex 25mm x 65mm

I'll have a look and get back to you.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Get a regular 52 guard and use the old one as a template to make the hole more biggerer! (flush trim router required).

@Johnnyseven - thanks for that, just spotted the autocorrect cock up, I meant 'approx' not 'apex'

@ESBlonde - I'm afraid I don't even know what a flush trim router is!

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I'm pretty sure I got my last one from the Netherlands and it was fine.  Could have been these:-

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    smoore said:
    @Johnnyseven - thanks for that, just spotted the autocorrect cock up, I meant 'approx' not 'apex'

@ESBlonde - I'm afraid I don't even know what a flush trim router is!

Google will show you lots of pics, some of them might not be nubile young ladies too.

Essentially a rotary cutter that has a bearing at one end that is the same diameter as the cutter. The bearing is set to ride along a template (the old scratchplate) and cut the new one to be the same dimensions. Sinse the standard plate is overall correct and drilled, you just need to cut the PU hole.
    The down side is that the inside corners will be rounded to the size of the cutter bit and might need hand finishing with a file.

Heres April Wilkinson describing the principle.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22813

I managed to get a genuine Fender one from eBay for mine, but the model's been discontinued a few years so I guess they're not making them any more.

It is fairly easy to modify a standard Tele pickguard for a mini-humbucker.

• smoore said:
    Hi

I found it. It's BWB though i'm afraid. The pickup hole measures 68 x 29mm. It doesn't look like I ever used it as it still has a plastic on it. Let me know it interested.
    Apologies for being dumb - what does BWB mean?

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    smoore said:
    Apologies for being dumb - what does BWB mean?

Black base layer, White middle, Black top layer.
    You aren't dumb, just possibly not getting some 'accepted' guitar based shorthand  ;)
    @Kittyfrisk - thanks for the explanation!

@Johnnyseven - BWB sounds like it might look nice, how much do you want for the pick guard?

• £20 posted?
    Perfect, good man.

Do you want to drop me a PM with payment details etc?