Cable Length

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    skunkwerx said:
    Go to designacable, get some van damme ones with neutrik jacks, specify your length, your colour and away you go. Job done. 

Oh yes!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    thegummy said:

Just remembered I was going to ask you something - I saw in the guitar shop earlier that Fender have some new cables out available in curly and straight in some lovely pastel Vintera type colours - any idea if those have more reliable connectors than the tweed CS ones?
    I haven’t seen any yet.

However yesterday I did see a TourTech cable which was identical to a Fender Custom Shop one... so I would avoid those too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    edited August 2019
    I actually use a coiled cable to un “ hi-fi “ my tone and I like it way better than straight cable..
    It’s a Vox cable actually and is still going strong after 2.5 years,..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The late blues guitarist Albert Collins was known for using 100ft cables and walking out into the audience whilst playing. His tone certainly wasn't dull, though his choice of amps was a big part of that!
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    The late blues guitarist Albert Collins was known for using 100ft cables and walking out into the audience whilst playing. His tone certainly wasn't dull, though his choice of amps was a big part of that!
    I was just thinking that maybe you could maybe compensate for cable length on the amp somehow.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    The late blues guitarist Albert Collins was known for using 100ft cables and walking out into the audience whilst playing. His tone certainly wasn't dull, though his choice of amps was a big part of that!
    If I remember rightly he used TV aerial cable - which has very low capacitance, but most people wouldn't want to use it for a guitar lead because it's very inflexible. And yes, running it through a Fender Quad Reverb with everything on 10 except the bass on 0 would probably go a long way to compensate anyway :).

Likewise Hendrix - a Strat going through a Marshall Super Lead with everything on 10 is incredibly shrill and painful by itself. But stick four "10 foot" coily cables in front - a total length of about 120 feet of cable - and two notoriously tone-sucking non-true-bypass effects (wah and Univibe - a Fuzz Face is actually true bypass, not for tone reasons but to stop the fuzz bleeding into the bypass signal) in front, and it isn't... or at least less so ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom