Help removing Poly finish - progress pics and slightly weird results...

What's Hot
johnljohnl Frets: 2011
edited August 2019 in Making & Modding
I'm in the middle of stripping a poly finish from an Epiphone that I've just purchased and it's turning out a bit weird:

The large part on the right is noticeably darker and is the first part I stripped (with originally 80 and then 120 grit sandpaper). The lighter (and much nicer looking) part on the left I did using 140 grit. It still doesn't feel like I'm down to the wood on either part (when looking closely it's like there's a level or two of clear finish above the wood) but as much as I sand the "black" side it doesn't seem to change colour or texture. Any ideas as to how I can rescue this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6886
    To see if you’ve got to the wood drop some water on it, it will roughen up the grain slightly. The thickness of some finishes is amazing and a colour change doesn’t mean you’ve taken it all off. Also wood dust is different feel to polyurethane dust (which will be white)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Thanks @mrkb - looks like I'm still not down to the wood so will keep going for a bit and see what happens. 
    Right - crisis averted, further sanding and there is indeed glorious mahogany underneath the black.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3911
    Looks lovely!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    johnl said:
    Right - crisis averted, further sanding and there is indeed glorious mahogany underneath the black.
    Be careful - it’s probably a veneer.
    Nope, had a look in the cavities before starting. This one is listed as (and is) full mahogany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You can usually spot the seams of a multi-piece body on the sides, at least on the Les Pauls. What model is this then?
    It's the Jared James Signature. It's a les paul custom with a single dogear p90. It's a mahogany cap on a mahogany body rather than a single piece but that's how Gibson makes the customs as well these days 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I thought the cap was separate whether it was maple or mahogany anyway. Good to know that the high end Epis are made of good wood.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    What's the plan? Natural back gold top? That be cool!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    mrkb said:
    To see if you’ve got to the wood drop some water on it, it will roughen up the grain slightly. The thickness of some finishes is amazing and a colour change doesn’t mean you’ve taken it all off. Also wood dust is different feel to polyurethane dust (which will be white)
    Have a wizzo Mr B !