Making a Rosewood Strat body

GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349

This post will show how I've made a new set of jigs for a Rosewood Strat. The idea behind these jigs is so I can build a standard Strat with chambers to remove as much wood as possible without interfering with the tummy cut and the arm cut. I already have set of jigs to make F hole Strat’s, but they do not allow for a tummy or arm cuts.

I make two MDF Strat body jigs, on these I mark out where the pickup and control rout pockets will be for the front jig, and one similar for the back jig. I also mark out where the tummy and arm cut will go. I then mark out where I can rout chambers that will not encroach with the standard rout. Where possible the back and front chambers will meet up when the two halves of the body are joined together.

The lightly shaded area is were the standard rout’s will be, the darker shaded area is where the chambers will be.  

Making the body.

The body is going to be made up of 4 pieces of rosewood. I start with 2 blocks of rosewood 500mm X 200mm x 50mm, each block is cut in half though the 50m, then glued together, not quite a good book match as rosewood grain it's all over the place (see photo below). When each half have been glued, I then cut them roughly to shape (about 10 mm oversize). I then put them through a drum sander to bring them to around 22mm thick, I then fit one of the jigs to each piece of the Rosewood ready for routing.

Then the sides are glued together.

Once out the press I start the main routing.

If you look carefully at the above photo you will see there are small holes drilled in the pockets that go into the chambers. This is to allow air to flow freely in and out of the chambers.

I'm not back in the workshop till Tuesday, when hopefully I will finish the body.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @GSPBASSES ;Looking forward to getting my hands on this one Graham, looks fab so far!

Id best get the rest of the parts I need ordered!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Most interesting, and looks fantastic. Appreciate the pictures and description, cheers @GSPBASSES ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom