Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I want a Strat...but which one? there are so many.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    dazzajl said:

If you want that special bond, the real Strat experience too, then you more or less have to forget your wish list, get down to somewhere that offers a great range and choice and play them all. The one that picks you might surprise you. And if you’re lucky, leave a lot of change in your pocket for other toys too??
    I agree with this. At risk of starting a whole other argument, I think that with Strats even more so than other guitars, it's just really important to find the right piece of wood. My best ever Strat is a 50s Hot Rod, but if it were stolen I wouldn't necessarily go looking for the same model. It just happens that mine is a great example that rings fantastically. It's fiesta red, which is not my favourite colour and I wouldn't have chosen it online. But I found it in a shop and it's just perfect.

Occasionally I think I'd like a Strat in a specific colour but if you're going to find a magic Strat that resonates beautifully AND insist on one particular colour, it could be a long hunt. 
    Agree 100%.

The other thing to mention is a lot of problems can be sorted with a good setup and potentially a new nut.

I see people changing guitars all the time because they aren't 'bonding'- in fact I mostly own guitars that are other people's cast offs.
    So either I'm much less picky about what constitutes a good guitar or the fact that the first thing I do with a new guitar is a full set up and potentially replace the nut.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10253
    edited August 2019
    AVRI would be a good bet. Like a 56 AVRI? Blonde. Can’t go wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The roadworn ones are really good guitars. 
    I've no idea if they are true vintage spec though.
  • The roadworn ones are really good guitars. 

My roadworn 60's has the traditional radius, however it has bigger frets which makes it feel like the perfect (for me) compromise between vintage and modern.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The roadworn ones are really good guitars. 

My roadworn 60's has the traditional radius, however it has bigger frets which makes it feel like the perfect (for me) compromise between vintage and modern.

Yeah that's what I've got and I love it. I like modding gear but there's just nothing to change on these. All good!

The 50s ones look decent too but I've not tried any.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited August 2019
    dazzajl said:
    Interesting request, as the quintessential Strat experience is a different thing depending on where you look at it from. 

To me, it’s not about radius, number of screws in the guard or what machine heads it has. What is magical about the right Strat is that it always feels like coming home. That super comfortable bond that makes it feel like you’ve always played it and always will. 

If the exercise here is ticking off a box and saying you’ve got/had an authentic 50’s spec Strat, the internet is a big place. Keep an eye cast wide and sooner or later the one will pop up that meets the spec. My AC30 is a bit like that, I’d decided I wanted it before I’d even seen or heard it. Because it’s one I’ve always wanted to try and it feels good to tick the list. 

If you want that special bond, the real Strat experience too, then you more or less have to forget your wish list, get down to somewhere that offers a great range and choice and play them all. The one that picks you might surprise you. And if you’re lucky, leave a lot of change in your pocket for other toys too??
    Very wise words, thanks.  Food for thought and I think you are correct 100%.
    This 100% - you'll be surprised how weird the 7.25" is compared to your PRS and not necessarily something you'll want to be lumped with once the honeymoon period is over. Screws aren't something that should concern you right now either.

Get a nice Custom Shop with a flatter radius is my opinion. It's all about the wood resonance and feel at these prices, and Custom Shop gives you the pick of the best, in that regard.

I had a 7.25" vintage correct everything, American Standard and it was lush, but quickly became fatiquing in many ways. My next Strat was everything I wished the American Strat was and now I couldn't be happier.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    MIJ ST-54 80 AM.

Had one years ago and stupidly sold it. Luckily picked a second up from here and it’s also an excellent guitar & superb value for money.
  • I suspect you've deliberately posed a trick question...
    "I want a Strat - but which one?"
    ... is obviously a trick..... but hah... I didn't fall for it.
    We both know that one Strat is never enough.... there are so many variations... so you'll need several.
    (Well that's what I told my wife).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom