Pumping Compression

What's Hot
GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
Music has always had fashions and fads.  For example,
Chorus on everything.
Reverb on everything.
Autotune on everything.
However,
if there's one fashion that I've just not been able to get on with it's that pumping compression thing -- I'm trying to think when it started but I can't pinpoint it to a particular stand-out track in the way you can point to "Believe" for auto-tune, or maybe "In The Air Tonight" for the gated reverb on drums thing. 
I was just listening to a track recorded this year and I quite like it but the bloody pumping thing is going like a good 'un and I'm thinking, "It's 2019 ffs why are they still doing this?" 
I can't stand the effect.  I can't even think of any example that I've ever liked.
Any fans here?
Why?

Here's the track I mentioned.  Ceaseless pumping begins about 0:30
Cinnamon Chasers, -- Set The Sky on Fire (alternate version)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    I think it's more about the *overuse* of these things.
    It can be good for adding another kind of dynamic. Especially if it's barely noticeable or you feel it rather than hear it kinda thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Every dubstep track uses brutal amounts of side chain compression for a choppy, pumpy type sound: Skrillex, Knife Party, Zomboy etc.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited August 2019
    Exactly.  And they all sound like some 5 year old is playing with the volume knob!  Up and down, up and down!
    Leave the bloody thing alone!
    I've gotten old, haven't I?
    EDIT:  actually is that it?  Maybe there's some poxy drug that I've never heard of where faffing with the volume knob sounds like it's the best thing ever inside your head.
    ANOTHER EDIT:
    @octatonic -- I think you've nailed it.  It's an age thing.  I remember a bloke from Spotify talking about their algorithms which are really bloody honed and sharp.  They know who listens to what in incredible detail.  And...
    Skrillex.
    This bloke said that if you have Skrillex on your playlist you are are highly unlikely to be over the age of 23 or maybe it was 26, but you get the point.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I actually like it as an effect, but it does get overused.
    I don't listen to a lot of Skrillex but I do listen to Knife Party/Pendulum quite a lot.

• Sidechain compression is best when you don't notice it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I hate it. It makes me feel dizzy.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    It's a great way to add energy to a track when it's used subtly, but as an obvious effect... never say never, I guess. But that example in the OP is a good example of how it can take away more than it adds to a track - it's just distracting.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2019
    Sidechain compression is best when you don't notice it.
    Yeah...I hate it when it's used as an obvious effect but it can be very useful for carving out space in a mix, particularly in a mid/side context 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD