Vintage Fender refinish recommendations

What's Hot
MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
edited August 2019 in Guitar
I have decided to have my 1973 Fender Strat refinished. It has been taken back to natural by a previous owner anyway, so no real loss in originality value having it refinished now I don't think. I knew I wanted Sunburst, but it wasn't until yesterday when I saw a similar period Fender Bass on one of the online stores for sale. (the post has disappeared so I assume they've sold it). But this is exactly how I want the refinish to be as it's utterly gorgeous, and ticks all the boxes for me. I also want to keep the little tooling dowel holes at the bottom of the front and back visible. So a relic'd target sunburst it is.

Who do you recommend. And please, If there are any of the forum paint guys out there that want the job, give me a shout, either publicly or by PM.

Or... what would you do?, leave it be, different finish option?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Another vote for @GoldenEraGuitars ;

I love a relic’d guitar but that bass is a bit too far for me, I’ve a sunburst Tele at the other end of the scale. It’s so lightly relic’d that it just looks untidy as opposed to used!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I’d leave it......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    Absolutely @GoldenEraGuitars No finer man for the job
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    edited August 2019
    Is that one of those late 60s faux burst - ie painted-on grain - finishes?  [edit] no, you can see the joins on the back. They can look pretty cool though, eg:  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/416032515785750/

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Whatever turns you on, I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    Well, by definition a real relic is cooler than a faked-up one. A faked-up relic 60s faked-up ash grain sunburst wouldn't be top of my wishlist either though, right enough.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Whatever turns you on, I suppose.
    As a finish on my Guitar?... no, that's not a good idea. o

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    Mike
    Retro 169
    SC Relics
    Joe DObson

You also need to make a call on poly or nitro.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

^
    Yes, so far think I'm staying period correct and going Poly with this, but I'd like some thoughts.

MikeS said:
    ^
    Yes, so far think I'm staying period correct and going Poly with this, but I'd like some thoughts.
    Well, you need also to factor in curing time- Nitro realistically is gonna be 8 weeks on that guitar, but you'll get better relicing

Poly is less easy to relic and far more durable, quicker to cure, but it'll be hard to get it like the one you've linked above

I'd personally go Nitro on it

Mike, also, Fabien at Relic-Arte in France is a genius, but he gets booked ages in advance. His work is magnificent though.

edited August 2019
    @Gassage ;; There you go, I'm so glad I asked as hadn't heard of him, and having a quick look his stuff is exactly what I'm after. 5 month turnaround though in France. Phew! Great option though and very decently priced by the looks of it too..

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    If you want a less common colour, i don't think anyone in UK is better than Rexter. His charcoal frost is nicer than my MJT
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    KDS said:
    I’d leave it......
    Me too. It's already an old guitar with a story to tell, why add a fake ending? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What are the joins like on it? Personally I hate it when the joins are very evident, but some people like that. With a sunburst they stick out like a sore thumb.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    p90fool said:
    KDS said:
    I’d leave it......
    Me too. It's already an old guitar with a story to tell, why add a fake ending? 
    If it hadn't been refinished I would agree but if its already been changed I would consider painting.  Personally I'd go nitro over poly.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1352
    I can understand your dilemma. Relic poly finishes don't look anywhere near as good as nitro, but are authentic to the age of the guitar. If you ever sell, the refinish won't have added to the value. I'd be very tempted to leave it exactly as-is and buy an original sunburst when you can afford it. If your taste is for really heavily-worn finishes (as is mine-the bass in your OP looks magnificent, if a little too clean), you can still get decent value. It's a perfect excuse for getting another strat. Bravewood will do a great refinish. Nitro only.