Installed a Callaham Strat bridge assembly

What's Hot
Went for the whole shebang and got a Callaham Mexican replacement bridge / tremolo for my 2008 Mexi Strat.

Fitted it last night, it could not have been easier. Slight adjustment to the saddle heights but the fixing screws and even the intonation was absolutely bang on. 

Set it up with four springs and despite the advice it is floating slightly off the body. Super smooth trem arm and excellent tuning stability. 

The most surprising thing is the affect is has had on the tone. Quite a bit brighter that the previous setup, lots of clarity and sustain. Wasn't sure about it last night, - I think it was a bit of a shock - but having had a good play this afternoon I like it. The Peacekeeper adds a lovely bit of grit to the otherwise clinically clean tone.

Expensive unit, but it does the job very well indeed and feels and looks top quality. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3852
    Yep, love mine too. I find the saddles a bit too bright, so bought some Highwood ones. Haven't fitted yet though. Callaham do make quality kit.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26992
    Completely agree  with all of that. It makes a remarkable difference over a regular bridge.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Forgot to mention this in the initial post, but it also makes muted picking very easy and very effective. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Fuengi said:
    feels and looks top quality. 
    I bought the sustain block and replacement saddles for a Nineties American Standard Stratocaster. The Callaham parts fitted the Fender ones perfectly. They came off equally easily when I removed them prior to selling the host guitar in original spec.

With the stock parts reinstated, the guitar sounded disappointing. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    I bought the sustain block and replacement saddles for a Nineties American Standard Stratocaster. The Callaham parts fitted the Fender ones perfectly. They came off equally easily when I removed them prior to selling the host guitar in original spec.

It's made a significant difference. I'd say it's worth considering doing even if you never use the tremolo. 

I'm thinking about changing the stock tuning pegs for Kluson vintage style. Any experience in doing this and opinions? 
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

It's made a significant difference. I'd say it's worth considering doing even if you never use the tremolo. 

I'm thinking about changing the stock tuning pegs for Kluson vintage style. Any experience in doing this and opinions? 
    Gotoh slot heads here. Poke it down the hole (yic, yic) and away you go. Rock solid. Love them
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Loved mine before I broke up my FrankenStrat and sold the parts on - has a very noticeable, pleasing and lovely affect on your tone
    Lebarque said:
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

Gotoh slot heads here. Poke it down the hole (yic, yic) and away you go. Rock solid. Love them

Easy enough to change the Mexican standard ones for Gotoh? They heve the big washers on them.
    Made a quick video of a short loop which highlights the restrained brightness of the Callaham Trem. Recorded on shitty phone but you get a hint of the tone.

Fuengi said:
    Lebarque said:
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

Easy enough to change the Mexican standard ones for Gotoh? They heve the big washers on them.
    Probably. Dunno. Worth checking
  • The Callaham stuff is top quality. I feel the blocks in particular make a big difference and somehow make the guitar sound 'bigger' compared to ordinary blocks - more authority, not just more sustain. The saddles can be a little bright but I mostly like the extra clarity.

Regarding tuners, anything can be done, it just depends if its worth the effort. There was a recent thread about this here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2236605/#Comment_2236605

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Lebarque said:
    Fuengi said:
    Lebarque said:
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

Probably. Dunno. Worth checking
    I've put vintage kluson's on a chinese strat before, needed bushes to get them to fit as vintage are smaller than the 10mm holes.  Not sure what size mexican have.  You will probably need to drill new screw holes.