NAD Friedman BE100 Deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Argh this thread isn't helping my BE-100 DLX GAS.  I REALLY don't need one - I have a Bogner Ecstasy 20th Anniversary and a Dan Gower-modded '83 Marshall JCM 800...but I've just picked up a JJ Jr and it sounds sublime.  

ARGH!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
    @andy1839 I just watched Bea’s demo again, and he does spend some time on the lower gain setting later in the video. Some great tones at 19min, 22min and 23min. On the lowest setting in BE channel with the gain dimed a 
    bit he got that nice percussive sound that works great for Malcolm Young AC/DC rhythm.

Its a pity he didn’t try it in the lowest gain structure position, flip on the SAT switch, gain at halfway and try it on BE and HBE, then play about with the response. I could see that work well with a strat too with some reverb in the loop. Then play some mellow blues lines. I could see this get into Gary Moore territory easily. I would setup for the maximum gain I needed with the volume full on, then back off the volume for some awesome mellow blues. With my Smallbox, it definitely works well in BE mode with relatively high gain, then back off the guitar volume, very Andy Timmons flavour. I think this amp would just have so much more of that. Similar to what you said about the Plexi channel, just with more brittle top end.

When I had the original BE, it was certainly a bigger sound, which I probably prefer over all other Friedman’s, but I don’t like the huge headshell. However, it seems to cover everything.

I know what you mean about getting lost in the Plexi channel with a strat, it’s hard to beat. It’s probably just as well l live so far away - I would probably just end up getting it immediately after playing. I still remember playing the original BE in Peach guitars. I couldn’t believe an amp could be so much fun to play. That coupled with the Friedman 2x12 cab was excellent.

Can it give you that almost bass heavy sound you get when you mix volume 1 & 2 and/or jumper channels on a Marshall Plexi? It’s not a core sound for me, but it is addictive.

I haven’t played a JJ100 either, but most folk who have had the range all seem to like the JJ best. It would be good to see this amp compared side by side with the JJ to see how close it could get. In a similar vein, Bea’s demo of the Friedman Jake E Lee really highlighted how aggressive it seemed compared to the BE100DLX. The Jake E Lee one does seem pretty RAW.

My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can someone who owns a BE100 deluxe describe the range of lower gain sounds it can get now that it has lots more controls e.g. gain structure switch?

I had a BE100 around 2015 and it was great, but it almost felt like it went from clean to higher gain really well, but the BE channel at lower gains felt a little choked. I mean it worked ok, but when you cranked the gain past a certain point it just came alive. Now that the clean channel is Smallbox Plexi, and it has so many more controls, including gain structure switch, it seems it should pretty much do all gain levels well.

As an example, can you set it up to have a really loose response, with lots of low end, and almost get into JTM45/Dirty Shirley territory? 

I appreciate the DS has a lot more going on e.g. tube rectifier, different power tubes etc, but it must be able to get in the ballpark?

Also, can someone post a link where it describes what the new controls do? Can you set it up so that it can still get that nice compressed feeling/sound of the older BEs?

It does seem this amp is a home run. 
    Hey man, well you know how awesome the SB plexi channel is this is just a beefier more punchy 100w version of that it will go from super clean plexi through to all out vintage rock crunch. The switches mostly dont affect the plexi channel but you can massively shape the be/ hbe channels to whatever you like. The c45 switch for example gives the be channel a much more raw marshally aggresive kinda vibe which is awesome. The hbe/be can be shaped to sound heavy and sludgey like a JJ with the response, frequency and thump knobs or more high gain thrash and the volume dials per channel plus system volume you can play it really quiet and retain the qualities of the amp. It wont ever sound like a DS tho imo its much more tight in the bass to feel like a DS. 
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited July 2020
    Personally i usually dime the plexi channel and role off coz its bloody awesome! Lol if your using a Strat then the Fat switches will really help as well
    @Pablocrackers thats good to know. That’s what I like about the Smallbox too.

@andy1839 the DS pedal in front of the Plexi channel might work too. Bea gets great results in his other videos with the Synergy preamps too.

Hmm, I think I’m doomed! Lol.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always had mega gas for a BE100. mmmmmmmmm yummy....

Bye!

• ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 144
    Hey, so here are some thoughts from my side:

- If you think the JJ works for you, the BE 100 DLX can actually replicate the JJ with the power section controls!  I believe Dave posted the recommended settings, that would essentially make it respond exactly the same.  Found this tip early on, and have used it quite a bit for heavier stuff

- I do use a Kingtone Soloist in the clean plexi channel with my strat.  Love the additional options I get with this, but to be fair it's not absolutely necessary.  I used the duellist previously with my PT-20 and just fell in love with the "a side" tone.  When using my SG or PRS, I tend to just use the amps distortion.   

- The amp is extremely flexible, and honestly any thoughts of buying an additional amp to cover more ground has gone out the window (at least for now!)

- I find the low gain tones very pleasing.  I've experimented with using the lower gain settings and adding the C45 switch.  Really nice results with this setup!  I tend to do this when staying in that specific setting for some time.  Given it's multi-channel, I prefer to have the higher gain available at the tap of a switch.

- I often crank the plexi channel as well with the strat, it's as addictive as many have claimed!

- I haven't used the original BE, so can't make that comparison unfortunately.  

- Am now playing more than ever.  The amp is incredibly inspiring, and it's almost impossible to get a bad tone out of it!  It is very "hifi" if that makes sense.  Sounds very polished (this might be a negative for some).

- There's a great demo of the lower gain sounds from Shawn Tubbs (linked below - sorry, couldn't embed).  I think he stays in the medium gain position for most of the video.  Definitely worth checking out.

- I don't think you will find it binary. With the gain switch, plexi channel, c45 mod, and the fact it takes pedals so well - you have unlimited possibilities.  

Sorry, these thoughts are kind of all over the place - writing as I'm in the middle of a conference call (nice distraction though!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjg5U6M8iQ
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2408
    Dammit, I don't even own any amps - I'm a pure Kemper user - but I really, REALLY want one of these. You gits aren't helping!!! ;)

(Anyone willing to take a lot of profiles of theirs for the Kemper, by the way.....? :) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 144
    FarleyUK said:
    Dammit, I don't even own any amps - I'm a pure Kemper user - but I really, REALLY want one of these. You gits aren't helping!!! ;)

(Anyone willing to take a lot of profiles of theirs for the Kemper, by the way.....? :) )
    You are welcome, all part of the service  ;)

To be fair, it was the Kemper the put me on to Friedman in the first place!
    @ColWilkie some great points there, great to know that.

Ok, so I have spent too much time listening to Bea’s Friedman demos. Today I listened through my Sonos system for the first time and it was really interesting. Generally there was just a huge amount more bottom end on both the BEDLX and JEL demos - which is to be expected when playing the amp out with a mix. However, the tone I like best and what I associate with a raw hot rod Plexi is Bea playing the JEL amp at 20mins onwards in this video:

https://youtu.be/tyFNCDUHASQ

It just sounds great on the Sonos and reminds me of a slightly more refined version of my Marshall 1987x cranked. The JEL is probably a one trick pony, but it’s definitely a more raw Marshall esq trick, which I like.

It’s hard to tell from YT videos, so do the BEDLX owners think they can get a sound close to the JEL sound Bea has at 20mins onward in this video?

• Anybody getting JEL tones from their BE100 deluxe?

Still liking the idea of this amp as my single tube amp.

• I have the 100dlx and i havent wanted another amp since. I am sure you easily get those tones.
     Ive done a neo rockabilly psychobilly album on the plexi channel of this amp thats how versatile it is and the cantrell sound is in the amp too which was the best friedman i had owned prior to this amp. 
    So I just picked one of these up...hugely impressed so far.  Further impressions to follow!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    spirit7 said:
    So I just picked one of these up...hugely impressed so far.  Further impressions to follow!
    Congrats!

I still love mine!
  • @spirit7 Did you get the one from GG? Nice deal that. I am Jealous!!! Lol.

@i_b_tulloch no, traded for a Wildwood Smallbox plus some cash on this very parish!

Further impressions to follow, but wow this amp is good for classic metal and hard rock (and it’s up against some pretty stiff competition in my stable). What settings do you guys use for that?  At the moment I can’t tell whether I prefer the HBE or the BE + boost - both excellent, the former has this huge girth but still the tight bottom end but the latter sounds nastier and more focused.  I’m going highest gain structure, sat on, C45 off, frequency to the left. 
  • @spirit7 nice one! I have the WWSB combo, so it would be good to hear the main differences when you get a chance.

As much as I love the SB BE and BE+ channels, I just wish they were slightly nastier and aggressive. The best results I get is with the original Suhr Koko boost on mid boost on the middle switch setting. Gives the amp a lovely snarl that cuts nicely.

Been gassing for a BE100DLX for a while too!

@spirit7 nice one! I have the WWSB combo, so it would be good to hear the main differences when you get a chance.

As much as I love the SB BE and BE+ channels, I just wish they were slightly nastier and aggressive. The best results I get is with the original Suhr Koko boost on mid boost on the middle switch setting. Gives the amp a lovely snarl that cuts nicely.

Been gassing for a BE100DLX for a while too!
    I have to say that I loved the WW SB and the main differences with the BE100 DLX are a slightly more vintage voice and simpler operation, while the DLX is more flexible. I also used a boost with channel 3 of the WW SB, as I do with the BE channel on the Deluxe.  I can’t think of a better overall amp than either; it’s definitely a case of believe the hype.  
    edited January 2021
    @spirit7 nice summary. Friedman amps take pedals so well. I remember when I had a BE100 in 2014, hitting the HBE on lower gain with a pedal was a thing of beauty. I can only imagine what the DLX brings to the table.

The only thing that puts me off is the huge headshell. I think Dave has the sounds now, be great if he could fit the BE100 DLX into a Twin Sister size headshell, with the two rows of knobs. It’s a tight squeeze but other manufacturers seem to manage it.

• @spirit7 how are you getting in with the BE100 Deluxe after having it a while? How does it compare to your other amps and the SB WW?

Still like the idea of this amp. Can’t have too many Plexi channels :)