Once upon a time in Hollywood (spoiler)

Last week the local Vue kindly put up a session of pulp fiction which was quite fun to see on the big screen (though I did wish I could have seen it for the 'first time' in the cinema). 

Wednesday was time for the new Tarantino flick. Masterclass acting and a very fresh twist ending which left me with a bit of moral indigestion. It made me reflect on the manson murders and some of the lines on the film seemed to be a direct critique of Hollywood.

Anybody else seen and care to share thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I saw it, i think I need time to digest it.

On the surface it was a bunch of WTF just happened?  A bunch of people talking a lot, some scenes went on for ages, some scenes that doesn't really do much (like the house in the old set with the old man) at the time, except introduce in a glimpse the character Tex.  Robbie was in it a lot and she didn't have much to do at all except looking pretty.  

if you analyse it though there are a lot of commentary on Hollywood, the ups and downs of an actor, the struggles and the fame.  There are a lot of little things here and there which is fascinating the more you know the business.

In terms of his movies, I don't think this his most accessible or best, but the performances from everyone is amazing.  That little girl who did that scene with Leo was brilliant.  Brad Pitt stole every scene he was in.

I need to watch it again to take it all in. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364

On the surface it was a bunch of WTF just happened?  A bunch of people talking a lot, some scenes went on for ages, some scenes that doesn't really do much (like the house in the old set with the old man) at the time, except introduce in a glimpse the character Tex.  Robbie was in it a lot and she didn't have much to do at all except looking pretty.  

if you analyse it though there are a lot of commentary on Hollywood, the ups and downs of an actor, the struggles and the fame.  There are a lot of little things here and there which is fascinating the more you know the business.

In terms of his movies, I don't think this his most accessible or best, but the performances from everyone is amazing.  That little girl who did that scene with Leo was brilliant.  Brad Pitt stole every scene he was in.

That pretty much sums up most Tarrantino films for me. Personally I don’t think he’s done much of note since Pulp Fiction, there are some real stinkers in there too.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Am I the only one who doesn't like him at all?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    boogieman said:

That pretty much sums up most Tarrantino films for me. Personally I don’t think he’s done much of note since Pulp Fiction, there are some real stinkers in there too.  
    I think he is an amazing director, one of the best, because not only he directs, he has written (AFAIK), all of his scripts.  Kill Bill was one of my  favourite movies, Tarantino or not.  

This film however feels like it lacks a core structure and the bit before the last act with the voiceover screams after the first edit he felt there was way too much information and he needed something to tell the audience what was going on because all of the sudden all the storyline converged into the same time frame.  Where before that point time was scattered all over, sometimes 1 day, and then 6 months flew by in 20seconds.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:

I find something to like in all his films, but everything since Jackie Brown has been overlong and ridiculously self-indulgent.

He's a very talented man, but he can never resist the temptation to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.  His producers should let him write and shoot, then take the films off him for someone else to edit without his involvement.  Not that that's likely to happen.

Anyway, he's only going to make one more...

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    ICBM said:
    You don’t even like Pulp Fiction? Wow. Ok. 

I find his work mostly overblown and a difficult watch. He has some great ideas, visually he’s very clever, he references lots of great films and directors, his choice of soundtrack music is usually really cool.  BUT he doesn’t seem to know how to bring these things all together on the screen without hours of pointless dialogue and scenes that ultimately go nowhere.

Pulp Fiction though, that’s a great film, one of THE classics of our time. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2019
    I thought pulp fiction and reservoir dogs both needed a lot of work but showed a lot of promise. True romance was better. Unfortaly though the budgets have got bigger but the films haven't got better.