Jackson slime green options?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I'm quite liking the look of the Jackson SLX in slime green but am put off by the Floyd rose trem system, did Jackson do a similar guitar in slime green that is a hard tail at all please? If they don't and the Floyd is the only option just how much of a pain in the arse is it to change strings please? I don't have the spondoolies for a new one so a trade would have to be put in place for a used one, so any idea of used prices would be a great help, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I have a number of guitars with floyds or other fully floating bridges and I honestly don't have a problem with restringing or tuning for that matter.  Much more stable than a strat trem or a bigsby, as long as you learn how to do it properly.
    Do a google search and there's some great advice available about it.  No need to be scared.  It's a perfectly natural thing is balance :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If you love everything else about the guitar, dont let the FR put you off. If you decide you dont like it, or its just too much trouble. Then just block the trem cavity.

I've had several Floyd Rose guitars. I eventually disabled the trems on all of them. Its not difficult. It'll typically will take between 25 - 45 minutes using a ruler, some wood, and a saw. With the FR properly set, measure the 2 gaps in the trem cavity. Cut the wood blocks to size and slide them in snug. 

This is my Jackson Soloist. I originally only blocked the raising side. This allowed me to do double stop bends etc. It also permits easy string changes. Later, my luthier blocked up the other side. He said it made for a better fix. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    +1 for blocking the trem.  It is really, really easy.
    I love RGs but I've blocked them all except one and actually I think I'm going to do that one too.

• As the guys above me have said, don't be put off by the Floyd. There are bits that take longer when you're changing the strings (unlocking them, for a start), but there are also things which are quicker - I put the ball end through the tuner, so I don't have to worry about wrapping the string around the post or anything like that. As long as you do one string at a time and tune up as you go along, you're golden. Admittedly, taking all the strings off and then fitting the new ones can be a bit time-consuming.
    The other advantage of a Floyd is tuning stability (again, as mentioned above): at the Jimi Hendrix thing I went to last week, I took my guitar out of the gig bag, strummed a chord to check I was in tune and I was good to go; everyone else with their hardtails and traditional trems had to pass around a tuner
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I've  a model 2 Charvel with trem blocked off. I can't do a thing with a trem over than a bit down bend so this is the way to go. Mines got a piece of wood screwed in the trem cavity. extending under the springs,pushing against the trem block on the neck side. No up bends but still dives. One of my best guitars!
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Again, my experience is like skullfunkerry's,  that well setup Floyds stay in tune at least as well as my hard tails.  It's really easy to just buy into all the people on forums fear of fully floating without giving it a go.  In the same way as there's a bundle of tricks to using a strat trem (best trick in my opinion is to sell the strat if you wanna use the trem and buy something with a floyd ;)), there's tricks to setting up a floyd and if you can be arsed to learn how to do it, it'll be a good friend to you.
    Don't listen to the naysayers and give it a go is my advice.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    Trems are a ball ache. I like changing tunings in between songs and you can’t do this with a Floyd, plus anything that makes restringing harder is a no no. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1734
    Yeah, I'm there with the positives on Floyds. They stay in tune really well, the string changing thing is down to a bit of practice, that all in reality.

I've never found the bending double stop or unison bend 'issue', any issue. and you can get them up to down bend only if you wanted to.

If you wanted to convert it to hardtail - you can do it a number of ways - as the previous chaps have noted.

I'm echoing some of the others guys (and I'm sure there will be equal/more people who will disagree) - but Floyds are fine - certainly nothing to concerned about.

Give it a a go - you might love them!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for all your positive replies, I've put up a wanted ad to see what's about. I'm GASing for a slime green one but the neon pink has kind of tickled my fancy too!
  • zepp76 said:
    Thank you for all your positive replies, I've put up a wanted ad to see what's about. I'm GASing for a slime green one but the neon pink has kind of tickled my fancy too!
    Love a brightly coloured Jackson! I've got an SL4X due at some point hopefully, and I'm going to go for the pink or orange, rather than the understated blue :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    Love a brightly coloured Jackson! I've got an SL4X due at some point hopefully, and I'm going to go for the pink or orange, rather than the understated blue :)
    Nice one! The neon pink really does look good, I haven't seen an orange one yet so I'll take a look.