Does a 60 watt blackface amp exist?

What's Hot
I'm having a little trouble getting a blackface amp that does what I want. I play in a blues/rock trio and we play a fair volume. I also need a quite a lot of clean headroom to sit about the mix for some clean solos. The super reverb is my favourite amp I've ever had but it ran out of headroom at the gigs i used it for. It broke up just a little to early so when I engaged a clean boost for solos it just compressed. I'm currently using a twin reverb, which is absolutely insane. I've never had it past 2. I need something that has the big lush, scooped blackface cleans of a super but a little more power and headroom. 

I've tried the following at gigs and they are either to loud/quiet or don't have the tone I'm after, so are not options;

Fender Super Sonic 22, 60, 100 
Fender Vibroverb 63 RI
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Custom Vibrasonic Reverb
Fender Hot Rod or Blues series

Any ideas? 

I await the obligatory 'I've never had my deluxe past 3, if that doesn't work, you must be to loud' comments with baited breath  =)
Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
  Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Well I was going to say the Supersonic 60, but you've ruled that out.

How come?

Blues Devillie, Pro Sonic and Pro Reverb are all options 

If it doesn't have to be Fender then a Peavey Classic 50 is a great overlooked amp and my personal favourite is the H&K Puretone which is amazing and costs bugger all.

I don't really get the too loud thing because Fenders are generally controllable unless you need the blackface with power amp distortion sex pistols type sound in which case get a Jettenuator?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Grab yourself a boogie. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @monquixote ;

The super sonic 60 is a great amp! Giggled one for an long time. Unfortunately the circuit comes with a high pass filter so it rolls off all the low end on the 'vibrolux' setting. Even with the bass up full it's missing bottom end. I haven't tried pro sonic or pro reverbs yet, both doable options!

R.e to loud, when I twin is on 2 the power valves are barely doing anything and the amp sounds sterile. An amp that is to loud in my mind is one that I cant turn up loud enough to get the, compression, dynamics, sustain and goodness of tubes that are working hard. Different to distortion!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Put a solid-state rectifier in the Super Reverb. (Direct plug-in diode type, not valve emulating.) That will give it a bit more volume and headroom with less compression but without changing the basic tone or character of the amp. It's a plug-and-play mod, although you should check and probably may need to adjust the bias.

If you don't have the Super any more, try the Twin running on two power valves. That will produce about 50-60W. Technically you should reset the impedance, but that can't be done without changing the speakers, so I wouldn't worry about it - the result of the mismatch will be slightly more compression anyway, which may help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    There is a hotrod deville ml in the classifieds currently - different beast to the regular deville!
  • @ICBM Solid advice, and both things I plan to try. Thank you! 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Blackface Bassman was 50 I think
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    More efficient speakers. I put cannabis Rex vs the stock Jensen in my drri65 - much later breakup
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Ever tried the 60W 3x10 Vibro-King? I've only played the '90s original, not the reissue, but that was a combo to be reckoned with. Lovely reverb, too. 
  • KKJale said:
    Ever tried the 60W 3x10 Vibro-King? I've only played the '90s original, not the reissue, but that was a combo to be reckoned with. Lovely reverb, too. 
    I have an its something I'm considering. A lot of folk say it breaks up early on the forums... thatd the only thing stopping me!

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2019
    Grab yourself a boogie. 
    Yep, that will do it. Don't get too fixated on that wattage as there are plenty of lower wattage amps with decent speakers and transformers that have the headroom and will deliver live and hold up against a loud drummer.

The Fender 75 was regarded as 'Fender's Boogie'. It's heavy, loud but has great spanky, Fendery cleans and the overdrive is ok and was a cascading type. It also takes pedals really well and It's from the 80s but WAS NOT a
    Rivera-designed one. I thought there was one for sale on here and they come in cheap (under £500)

Alex335's Divided by 13 9/15 JRT combo on here is excellent and there are others like a Dr Z and Carr's should not be discounted.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited August 2019
    Like ICBM said, SS rectifier. Then JAN Philips 7581A’s. Then consider speakers. If yours is an original vintage super, it may have CTS Alnico’s, which whilst considered lovely sounding speakers, they are not very efficient and do tend to give up early. I ran Weber C10 N’s in one of mine, it absolutely killed.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    @fendermadlewis I've got a couple of Traynor you're welcome to try - a YRM-1 and a YGL-3. I have combo and head versions of both.

I'm not far from you (Huby, nr. Easingwold)

R.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Grab yourself a boogie. 
    Ross speaks the truth! Come try my Lonestar Classic any time you want mate.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Ossyrocks said:
    Like ICBM said, SS rectifier. Then JAN Philips 7581A’s. Then consider speakers. If yours is an original vintage super, it may have CTS Alnico’s, which whilst considered lovely sounding speakers, they are not very efficient and do tend to give up early. I ran Weber C10 N’s in one of mine, it absolutely killed.
    @Ossyrocks your old super still sounds great. I was at a rehearsal the other month and the other guitar player that bought it from you still has it as his only amp
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Ossyrocks said:
    I have gone from some tired CTS alnicos to the ceramic GASC64 in my vibrolux. Still sounds very, very nice. It's bolder, more commanding and at least a little bit louder. Also, weightier! If nothing else, more powerful speakers might enable you to back off the volume *and* bass, giving you noticeably more headroom.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2019
    DrZ EZG.  Quite a bit louder than a Super I believe especially through my 2x12 (Red Fang and EV). If you need more then a solid state rectifier in there also( Matt Schofield did in his).

Failing that then a Blackface Twin. 

Alternately some of the 100w Dumble clones will get you close (TR, Redplate,  Fuchs, Bludotone, Ceriatone). Might need a pedal in front that will scoop the mids a little. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Might be worth looking out for a Fender 75. Came in Head (though I've never seen one), and a couple of combo configs inc 1x15. I think there was one listed here a short time ago.
    http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-75/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Carr Slant 6v

Or for the win - A Redplate. Job done.
  • 1994 Twin. If I didn’t have neighbours/housemates, I’d have one in a heartbeat. Brilliant amp and I love the gain channel on it. Can easily get one for c.£500-£600.