Using an American Sound straight to PA

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
Hey, just picked up an American Sound to run straight to PA in case of my amp blowing up. I'm running a tuner into an HX Effects at the min and I'm not entirely sure where to put the pedal in the chain. Does it go before the HX Effects, or after? I guess as it's in place of the amp, it would be after the HX FX, but does that cock up the effects? Does it matter? Confused.com. Help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It would go after your HX effects. The American sound would in effect be taking the place of a clean amp. So all you pedals/effects would need need to run into the front end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @kennedydream1980 That’s great, thanks for that. I kind of assumed that, then started second guessing myself! I only run the HX FX straight into the front of my amp anyway so should be straightforward. Much appreciated! 
  • Doesn't it depend on what effects you're using on the HX?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Pretty much most stuff...drives, modulation, delay, reverb etc. I’m in a covers band so have a different patch for each song
    Not if you are running the Joyo pedal clean. It’s just the same as playing into an amp set clean.
    Not if you are running the Joyo pedal clean. It’s just the same as playing into an amp set clean.
    But even then I'd say reverb sounds better full range after the amp rather than into the front
  • I think this will only ever be used like this in an emergency to get me through the gig, so guess I can turn the reverb off of really needed if it sounds crap
  • It won't sound crap at all it's just another option but as you say, in the circumstances it would be used then do whack it at the end after the HX and all will be well
  • Yeh, sure it would be fine....99.7% of the punters won’t notice/ care! Hopefully never need it, but saves taking a spare amp
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    For 99% of use case' you should stick it in the HX loop after drives and before reverb/delay.  Compressors and mods depending how you use them.  Just treat it as you would a real amp
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    However you run your FX, try your emergency setup in advance rather than waiting for your amp to break down mid gig. 

I have used an AC-Tone straight to desk and eventually got a pretty good tone, but only after a lot of mid-song fiddling with the very sensitive EQ. 
  • p90fool said:
    However you run your FX, try your emergency setup in advance rather than waiting for your amp to break down mid gig. 
    This is very solid advice.

(aside: if anyone's interested, this is my American Sound in action, lent to the keys player to distort his Fender Rhodes solo: )
  • p90fool said:

I have used an AC-Tone straight to desk and eventually got a pretty good tone, but only after a lot of mid-song fiddling with the very sensitive EQ. 
    Yep, I had a quick go at rehearsal the other night so I at least know it works. This one seems pretty sensitive too, and the knobs are quite loose so easy to move just when you don’t want them to. Joy!