Help me - what synth do I want?

What's Hot
i know almost nothing at all about synths. But I’d like something that can do a classic 80s palate of synth sounds eg Stranger Things type sounds, pads that perhaps can be gently modulated.
 I know some synths seem to be modules with wires sticking out of them, and others look like normal keyboards - it’s the latter I’m after. Am I don’t really want to spend a fortune - and am happy to look at second hand. 
What kind of thing should I be looking for? Any pointers in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated as I haven’t got a fucking clue where to start!
Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33795
    Budget?

You could buy a Prophet 6 and get those sounds.
    Or a Prophet REV 2.

If that is too much money then try the Korg Minilogue.
    You have to be realistic about what you can achieve with limited funds and a lack of experience though.
    But synths are fun and it is a good skill to be able to have.

You can also look at several VST/AU options- Arturia do vintage recreations of the 80's synths.
    a Prophet or CS80 would be a good place to start + a midi controller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Thanks @octatonic   Sorry to be so vague about budget - but I’m just really unsure. Having just google those suggestions I’ll be much more in the Korg Minilogue camp :-) that looks like a good starter. 

Another thought - I use a Yamaha clavinova at home for piano - it has MIDI jacks in it (again a whole word I’ve never messed with). Can I use that large keyboard to control a stand-alone synth module thing? 
    edited August 2019
    You’ll need usb or midi to communicate with a computer and might need a USB to midi interface if the synth only has midi.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Sounds like you want something polyphonic if you want pads.
    Korg minilogue is a good place to start. Worth giving the korg Volca FM a look too although could be too 80's for what you want.
    edited August 2019
    @octatonic  I have an Apogee Duet interface that I use for live recording - I’ve recorded some piano from the clavinova use the headphones out from the piano as a line in to the Duet. 
    So would the Clavinova + synth module+ Duet into my Mac work? 
    Sounds like you want something polyphonic if you want pads.
    Korg minilogue is a good place to start. Worth giving the korg Volca FM a look too although could be too 80's for what you want.
    Cheers - will look at that too 
  • u-he Diva is a great VSTi option. I used it exclusively as the synth on my last Composition Challenge entry.
    It's not a competition.
    mattdavis said:
    @octatonic  I have an Apogee Duet interface that I use for live recording - I’ve recorded some piano from the clavinova use the headphones out from the piano as a line in to the Duet. 
    Does the Duet have midi?
    octatonic said:
    mattdavis said:
    Does the Duet have midi?
    See - already too complicated :-) 
    I’ve only used XLR and 1/4 inch inputs...
    dont worry - I’m sure this will rapidly become tedious to those that know what they’re doing. I’ll go to andertons  and have a mooch around the keyboards, looking at those brands you suggested. 
    Thanks
    edited August 2019
    mattdavis said:
    octatonic said:
    mattdavis said:
    Does the Duet have midi?
    dont worry - I’m sure this will rapidly become tedious to those that know what they’re doing. I’ll go to andertons  and have a mooch around the keyboards, looking at those brands you suggested. 
    Thanks
    Not frustrating but if a question about whether your audio interface has midi or not is something you can't look up and answer then you are really going to struggle with the various different ways of doing this.

I'd suggest buying a synth with onboard sounds that you can use independently.
    You will eventually need to figure out how to record it (if you want to do this)- if it has midi then you will need to have a way of recording the midi into the computer (again, if you want to), you may need a midi interface, or if it has USB then a USB cable will often suffice.
    You may need to learn what 'Local On' and 'Local Off' is but I don't want to confuse you at this stage.

Consider buying used- a lot of people buy synths and hardly use them, selling for a massive loss.
    octatonic said:
    mattdavis said:
    octatonic said:
    mattdavis said:
    Does the Duet have midi?
    Thanks
    Not frustrating but if a question about whether your audio interface has midi or not is something you can't look up and answer then you are really going to struggle with the various different ways of doing this.

I'd suggest buying a synth with onboard sounds that you can use independently.
    You will eventually need to figure out how to record it (if you ant to do this)- if it has midi then you will need to have a way of recording the midi into the computer (again, if you want to), you may need a midi interface, or if it has USB then a USB cable will often suffice.
    You may need to learn what 'Local On' and 'Local Off' is but I don't want to confuse you at this stage.

Consider buying used- a lot of people buy synths and hardly use them, selling for a massive loss.
    @octatonic ;  Cheers. I was being slightly tongue in cheek and I’m on holiday so didn’t have the Duet to look at - sorry for the stupid reply!  But I think what you’ve said is right. Basically I want the synth to be a self contained instrument that I can treat like any other, then just record some sort of direct out. Just checked - The Duet does have USB Midi in/out - never used it and don’t really know anything about MIDI - but if it can somehow be used to take a line out from a synth then that should be great. 

Googling has led me to the Moog Grandmother that looks very fun indeed - but I don’t think it’s polyphonic. 
    The Korg minilogue looks like a sensible place to start. 
    Thanks again. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    You need to figure out if you want hardware vs software synths. There are pros and cons for both, but judging from your aversion to the techy stuff, I'd say get hardware as it is more quickly gratifying..

As mentioned, you need a polyphonic synth (i.e. a synth that can play more than one note at a time) if you want to do pads. The best "budget" one is the Korg Minilogue or Minilogue XD. Unfortunately, hardware polysynths are usually very expensive, which is why alot of people (including me) use software synths instead. It is alot more fiddly to get started with and set up, and it isn't as tactile. But it can sound as good and cost a fraction of the hardware it is emulating.

This video will clarify what a polysynth is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BQ_hdGLFOA
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Clavinova - usb - Reason would be my call.  More synth options in Reason than you'll ever need, but it is nevertheless very straightforward to use.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    The grandmother is great, and can do some of the sounds you want, but it is monophonic so won't do pads.
    The minilogue is honestly looking like your best bet at the moment, as it covers all of your bases, and works as a standalone instrument.
    Jalapeno said:
    Clavinova - usb - Reason would be my call.  More synth options in Reason than you'll ever need, but it is nevertheless very straightforward to use.

If you want to try a softsynth, u can check TAL's free emulation of the classic Roland Juno-60 (https://tal-software.com/products/tal-u-no-62)

You will need to connect the clavinova's midi output to your duet. You can then play the software synth with your keyboard. 
    Cheers fellas - much appreciated. The fog is clearing :-)
    mattdavis said:
    Cheers fellas - much appreciated. The fog is clearing :-)
    wait until you try to program a synth.. ADSR bla bla bla  ;)
    edited August 2019
    Just to confuse the issue- you can also look at paraphonic synths to do pads.

Some monosynths give you the ability to split the oscillators across different notes.
    These notes run through the same VCA and VCF so there is a limitation to how sophisticated it can sound.

One thing I'd suggest with a synth is to not spend all your time buying based on the published spec.
    Go and play it and see if you gel with the interface.

Definitely look used as well- I picked up a Novation Ultranova last week for under £200.
    Very capable synth.
    There are loads of bargains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That sounds interesting @octatonic ; - where do you tend to look for used synths? Ebay land or is there a forum you would suggest?
    mattdavis said:
    That sounds interesting @octatonic ; - where do you tend to look for used synths? Ebay land or is there a forum you would suggest?
    Here, Gumtree, eBay, Reverb, FB groups, Muffwiggler, Gearslutz.