Wanting to have a guitar refin in nitro

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
So I’ve picked up a Les Paul Studio that I want to get refin’d in nitro, is there anyone you guys would recommend around Stamford, Lincs way?

Still deciding on Colour but will be going for a solid rather than a burst.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It should be nitro already. Or did somebody strip it?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Long story, basically the current paint is shot and pealing so needs to be stripped and refinished.
  • danban said:
    Long story, basically the current paint is shot and pealing so needs to be stripped and refinished.
    i thought that was the whole idea with nitro?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14428
    tFB Trader
    To prepare and refin the whole guitar and you'll be looking at £200/300 from many repairers and more than that with others

Not seen the guitar as it stands, but based on a potential used selling price of £600/700 for many LP Studios - Then take into account a refin is worth around 1/3 less, maybe more, so you'd be looking at a guitar worth maybe £400 ish, after the work has been carried out, then I'd question the whole logic - But obviously your shout - Probably fine if it is a keeper, but not sure if it is worth the work, taking costs and value into account
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 187
    SC Relics are great. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • I've just had a guitar back from @lamf68 and he's done a great job (once it's all back together I'll be posting a thread)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Thanks for the info, I got given the guitar for nothing so not an issue about losing money 
    tFB Trader
    I've just had a guitar back from @lamf68 and he's done a great job (once it's all back together I'll be posting a thread)
    He did a great job for me a while a go on a USA Hamer - Well worth a recommendation
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    @lamf68 is my recommendation too
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    +1 for @lamf68 ;
    Also just had a refinish and relic back from him which is way better than I could have hoped for.
    He's also a top bloke
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Try a rattle can in the garage, cheap as chips and good fun.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Echopark?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31674
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Try a rattle can in the garage, cheap as chips and good fun.
    That's what I do, using Northwest Guitars nitro. Tediously, prep really IS the key, though this one only took a couple of days as I only did the top. 

https://i.imgur.com/Nxmdgcg.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    To prepare and refin the whole guitar and you'll be looking at £200/300 from many repairers and more than that with others

Not seen the guitar as it stands, but based on a potential used selling price of £600/700 for many LP Studios - Then take into account a refin is worth around 1/3 less, maybe more, so you'd be looking at a guitar worth maybe £400 ish, after the work has been carried out, then I'd question the whole logic - But obviously your shout - Probably fine if it is a keeper, but not sure if it is worth the work, taking costs and value into account
      If you stripped a Baja of it's poly finish and gave it a nice nitro paint job, would that decrease it's value?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    tFB Trader
    Freebird said:

If you stripped a Baja of it's poly finish and gave it a nice nitro paint job, would that decrease it's value?
    You certainly wouldn't increase its value, despite the cost of a good nitro refin - To some it might be more desirable/interesting/vintage correct

A used Baja with an original finish and a used Baja with a good nitro vintage spec'd finish and I could see many trying to ask the same price - some might try and ask more - Maybe not an easy answer as I'm not the buyer and I can see thinking it should be priced lower
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    DavusPG said:
    +1 for @lamf68 ;
    Also just had a refinish and relic back from him which is way better than I could have hoped for.
    He's also a top bloke
    Another recommendation for Rich. He’s doing a Strat for me at the moment after he did a stellar job on my SG. Lovely guy to deal with too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    boogieman said:
    DavusPG said:
    +1 for @lamf68 ;
    He's also a top bloke
    Another recommendation for Rich. He’s doing a Strat for me at the moment after he did a stellar job on my SG. Lovely guy to deal with too. 
    Me too great job on my tele and easy to deal with.