anyone taken a guitar on holiday NOT as hand luggage ?

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5276
off on me hols and obviously have to take a guitar so thinking of the Waterloo got an excellent case BUT will it survive the hold to Turkey and back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I've only done it with bolt-ons but have done that many times both in the hold and as carry on without issues. I wouldn't assume a guitar case in the hold will survive the abuse they're put through though, no matter how sturdy it seems.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Hiscox for acoustic dreadnought to Inverness and Dublin both times fine.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited August 2019
    Last time it was a dreadnought in a Hiscox, Gatwick to Malaga. Loosened strings, carefully packed around the headstock. Landing in Spain at a busy time, the guitar didn't show on the carousel, nor anywhere near it. Eventually the crowds cleared and I spotted my guitar, all alone in the middle of the concourse, hundreds of yards away... 

It was fine. Proper worried I was, though. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    What, as like a +1?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I took a telecaster in a suitcase by removing the neck and protecting it with clothes. travelled fine.
  • I've flown with guitars in the hold many times, never had a problem.

My bandmate used to fly with his Les Paul in the original Gibson Lifton case. It was literally falling apart from years of touring but he never had a problem. Airline guitar disasters are a bit like plane crashes: we fixate on them when they happen because they're shocking, but they're actually very rare. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited September 2023
    e
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 861
    I've flown my strat in a reunion blues gig bag - the semi rigid ones - many times. No issues. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Tele to the Scilly Isles - took the neck off and packed it into the middle of the suitcase. No problems at all.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited August 2019
    The first time I travelled with one of my Les Pauls, it didn't get transferred on to the second flight in Amsterdam, so it arrived 2 days after me--- not brilliant when you're on a 5 day guitar course. Since the, I've always bought a seat for whichever guitar I take, then I know where it is. how it's being handled, and it arrives at my destination at the same time as me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Plenty of times.
    Personally I wouldn't fly with a set neck Gibson.

I would recommend getting a 'beater case' if you have a nice guitar and want to preserve the newness of the case if you ever come to sell.
    One of my Anderson cases is pretty beaten up after a dozen or so flights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Not me but a friend I was flying with took his 3 series Taylor which went in the hold in it’s hard case. 

Came out the the other end with a hole through the guitar and both sides of the case. Still no idea how.  :o
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2019
    Double post. I blame easyjet
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I traveled from New York t London with a 1955 Les Paul Custom in the hold, in a Gibson case and it got there without issues.  However it was coming over for @WezV to restore, so I wasn't as worried as I would have been normally.  When I took it back, I was on American Airlines business and took it on the plane with me.  They put it into the wardrobe with no problem.

• I usually stick my Tele in the hold when we play abroad and take pedals in my carry-on. Hiscox case and the the guitar has so far always been fine. My first Hiscox case ended up getting some puncture wounds from a Scandinavian Airlines flight (No idea how) but the guitar was fine and I used the case for years before eventually buying a new one, I think the Pro one that's a mm thicker or something. 

So, in summary: Hiscox = great
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    we went to Italy for a gig this recently. My strat went neck off in a checked bag, bandmates Dano went in the hold inside a hefty, solid, heavy-duty flightcase. I was very worried that it would end up in pieces but it was fine both ways. I was much more confident in my strat's chances of survival, however.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22917
    terada said:
    Not me but a friend I was flying with took his 3 series Taylor which went in the hold in it’s hard case. 

Came out the the other end with a hole through the guitar and both sides of the case. Still no idea how.  :o
    Cannon?
  • A few times i've taken the neck off a fender and sandwiched the neck and body between clothes in a large suitcase. It's always came out the other side safely! (Dont forget to pack a screw driver to put the neck back on like I did the first time) Worst case scenario they loose your luggage, so probably best use a cheaper guitar...
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've put a !2 string acoustic in a Hiscox case in the hold a few times. Once, it was nearly taken apart by French customs, must've been a slow day for them.
  • Philly_Q said:
    terada said:

Cannon?
    No, the Homelander.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent