Line 6 DL4 buggered

What's Hot
Hey guys,
I have an old Keeley modded version and it has just stopped powering up. It ain't the power supply or cable. 
Any ideas on what could be wrong and who could repair it?
ta
Sam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Try Jon Griffin at G-Tek in Chiswick- 0208 994 6477.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you squire.
  •  This is why I ended up stopping using mine, no-one could tell me what was wrong with it,  including Line6 under warranty, but just decided sometimes to not turn on.

Shame really, as I loved it, but don't think I'll be able to trust Line6 on reliability again :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
     This is why I ended up stopping using mine, no-one could tell me what was wrong with it,  including Line6 under warranty, but just decided sometimes to not turn on.

Shame really, as I loved it, but don't think I'll be able to trust Line6 on reliability again :-(
    Really? 

When was this? What was the return number when you sent it back, and which store sent it in? 

(I’m the ex service manager at Line6 UK and during my time there, no tech would have ever sent something back saying they couldn’t work out what’s wrong - Electronics aren’t voodoo plus we had replacement main boards)

Ta

As for the OP’s original question - it’s probably tarnish on the eprom chip, either on the pins of the chip or the push fit retainer. Remove the chip carefully and clean the pins using Servisol. Refit the chip carefully.
    Otherwise check the soldering around the power socket as these can crack - especially on lead free solder versions.

Hope that helps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
     This is why I ended up stopping using mine, no-one could tell me what was wrong with it,  including Line6 under warranty, but just decided sometimes to not turn on.

Really? 

When was this? What was the return number when you sent it back, and which store sent it in? 

(I’m the ex service manager at Line6 UK and during my time there, no tech would have ever sent something back saying they couldn’t work out what’s wrong - Electronics aren’t voodoo plus we had replacement main boards)

Ta
    I can't find the details, but it would've been around 2011/12 I think. Sent back through Promenade Music. It was an intermittent problem, and they said the unit was fine when they had it, but from memory they said they still took it apart and cleaned it and it worked fine when I got it back, for a while. Had a habit of failing on the biggest gigs (it had beef with Ronnie Scott's it seemed) so I eventually lost faith and moved on.
    edited August 2019
    impmann said:

Really? 

Ta
    I can't find the details, but it would've been around 2011/12 I think. Sent back through Promenade Music. It was an intermittent problem, and they said the unit was fine when they had it, but from memory they said they still took it apart and cleaned it and it worked fine when I got it back, for a while. Had a habit of failing on the biggest gigs (it had beef with Ronnie Scott's it seemed) so I eventually lost faith and moved on.
    Intermittent faults are a pita.

Although normally, if it had gone through L6 UK service they would have contacted you to try talking through the problem. 
    I wonder if it ever reached the Line 6 workshops - some stores used to try fixing things themselves...

• impmann said:
    impmann said:

Really? 

Ta
    Intermittent faults are a pita.

Although normally, if it had gone through L6 UK service they would have contacted you to try talking through the problem. 
    I wonder if it ever reached the Line 6 workshops - some stores used to try fixing things themselves...
    Possible I suppose, but I had a great relationship with them at the time. Ah well. Thanks for the further info, I appreciate it.
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited August 2019
    @impmann you are a true gent, sir, contact cleaning the eprom worked like a charm!!
    Excellent.
    Glad it’s working again. :-)