Possible Scammer Alert

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    darhart said:
    thegummy said:
    word up to people saying a bank transfer cannot be recalled. WRONG it can. maybe not as easily as paypal etc but if a bank believes a scam has taken place it can be recalled until investigated.
    Who are you saying that to?
    anyone who wants to be aware of scams. I keep reading a bank transfer is safe as it cannot be reversed. I have recently experienced being scammed and complaining to my bank and after supplying evidence they got the transfer reversed.

I had the opposite, I thought i'd bought a guitar on gumtree and foolishly sent the money by bank transfer. Once I'd realised my mistake I contacted my bank, the receiving bank, gumtree, and the police and was basically told tough shit you lost the money. No one was interested and I lost £400.
    Sorry to hear that :( 
    I contacted my bank, who contacted their disputes dept who emailed me a bunch of forms and a link to upload any evidence, they give the other side 30 days to respond. I dont know if they responded or not , they wouldnt give me details but 5 weeks after i claimed i got a call from my bank and it was refunded back into my account, this was hsbc.
    What was the evidence you gave them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    darhart said:
    thegummy said:
    word up to people saying a bank transfer cannot be recalled. WRONG it can. maybe not as easily as paypal etc but if a bank believes a scam has taken place it can be recalled until investigated.
    Who are you saying that to?
    anyone who wants to be aware of scams. I keep reading a bank transfer is safe as it cannot be reversed. I have recently experienced being scammed and complaining to my bank and after supplying evidence they got the transfer reversed.

I had the opposite, I thought i'd bought a guitar on gumtree and foolishly sent the money by bank transfer. Once I'd realised my mistake I contacted my bank, the receiving bank, gumtree, and the police and was basically told tough shit you lost the money. No one was interested and I lost £400.
    Sorry to hear that :( 
    I contacted my bank, who contacted their disputes dept who emailed me a bunch of forms and a link to upload any evidence, they give the other side 30 days to respond. I dont know if they responded or not , they wouldnt give me details but 5 weeks after i claimed i got a call from my bank and it was refunded back into my account, this was hsbc.
    What was the evidence you gave them?
    the original advert and website details, correspondence emails sent and copies of paperwork emailed to me.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2019
    These scams always have several things in common don't they?

1) Please delete ad now
    2) Am buying for a friend or relative
    3) Can't pick it up, see it/test it as I am ill/disabled
    4) Will send an 'agent' to collect item
    5) Give me your bank details, full name, address etc
    6) Need a fast response

2,3,4,5 are always in the scam.

Thanks for the heads-up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    jdgm said:

1) Please delete ad now
    6) Need a fast response

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's funny that they're trying to come across as a normal person but use the term "agent"
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    thegummy said:
    jdgm said:

1) Please delete ad now
    6) Need a fast response

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's funny that they're trying to come across as a normal person but use the term "agent"
    I always think of spies.

My agent will be standing by the clock wearing a red carnation and reading Total Guitar.
     He will use the code phrase, "I hear Bonamassa is bringing out a new signature model"

You will reply, "I wouldn't know, I only listen to Yngwie"
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    jdgm said:
    6) Need a fast response 
    That's what they want.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695

"hello dear Sir. We are agents here to collect the guitar item for our cancer. It's it ready thank you for us'
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    darhart said:
    Thanks, I even booked a ferry to the isle of wight to pick it up lol (fortunately I was able to cancel that!)
    That does suck, could have been worse you could have lost that money AND been to the isle of wight...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2270
    Philly_Q said:
    Note how it doesn't make any specific references to the type of item, the price, any particular circumstances you may have outlined... so it's nice and easy to send exactly the same message to lots of people.
    Goes to show what lazy feckers these scammer types are - not even making their scam "product specific". If only they would invest a small amount of time to tailor their emails they could get far better results...

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Tell the scammer not to worry, that you'll deliver it free of charge. All you need is their name and address.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12355
    I just give them completely bullshit details for a laugh, if it wastes a few mins of their time then good.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    JezWynd said:
    zepp76 said:
    If it is a scam what a fucking scummy thing to do saying you've got cancer, first class arsehole.
    Fairly common unfortunately. I was given a sad tale by a wheelchair bound woman wanting to purchase for her oil-rig bound nephew. What complicated lives these people lead. The deal was that I sent her money on the strength of a bogus PayPal receipt of payment statement.
    ha I've had that one. I asked for a pic of the wheelchair.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom