Will sunlight make a transparent finish fade to allow more wood grain to show through?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
Just wondering if anyone knows if this is true? I remember hearing it somewhere but may have been dreaming.
My latest NGD has a trans white finish but it’s nearly opaque and doesn’t show much of the swamp ash grain through, so I’m curious whether leaving it out of its case/in direct sunlight will cause the white finish to fade a little to allow more grain through?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I've never seen this happen, only for clears (nitrocellulose) to go more yellow.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    No. The white component is probably titanium dioxide (or another mineral) which will not degrade in sunlight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I think that only happens to vampires.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    With the smoking ban in pubs and clubs, no longer will you get nicotine white :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited August 2019
    sweepy said:
    With the smoking ban in pubs and clubs, no longer will you get nicotine white
    just smoke at home, and use the guitar as an ashtray
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    varnish will 'tan' down and the wood will darken depending on type
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    sweepy said:
    Back in my smoking days I used to use the space between the low e string and the headstock on my strat to hold my lit cigarette while playing. 

Bonkers
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10480
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    Branshen said:
    sweepy said:
    Back in my smoking days I used to use the space between the low e string and the headstock on my strat to hold my lit cigarette while playing. 

Bonkers
    Didn't everyone?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    terada said:
    Branshen said:
    sweepy said:

Bonkers
    Didn't everyone?
    More recently i've found you can get half a chocolate digestive in there!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22914
    Branshen said:
    sweepy said:

Many years ago I read an interview with one of the guitarists from Kix (Brian "Damage" Forsythe or Ronnie "10/10" Younkins).

He used to leave his guitars hanging in his shed (outhouse?) surrounded by lit cigarettes, to get that "nicotine aged" effect.  They must have smelled fucking horrible.

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    No wonder them masterbuilts & Tom Murphy guitars are so expensive. Cigs not cheap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    sweepy said:
    Thankfully.

Nor will your stage clothes and your gear stink of stale tobacco when you get them out next.

Nor will the inside of any fan-cooled gear you use end up covered in foul smelling, thermally insulating, electrically conductive filth which eventually kills it. I won't post the photograph I have here... suffice to say it should be printed on a fag packet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    ICBM said:
    sweepy said:
    Thankfully.

Nor will your stage clothes and your gear stink of stale tobacco when you get them out next.

Do you wear a special stage costume then?
    Does it involve a cape?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Sassafras said:

Do you wear a special stage costume then?
    I did back then :).

Sassafras said:

Does it involve a cape?
    Sadly, no... if I had it would have probably looked more Trick Or Treat than superhero ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    sweepy said:
    Thankfully.

Nor will the inside of any fan-cooled gear you use end up covered in foul smelling, thermally insulating, electrically conductive filth which eventually kills it. I won't post the photograph I have here... suffice to say it should be printed on a fag packet.
    And you've got a much lower chance of 'doing a Roy Castle' as well...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I took my old Harmony Sovereign round London folk clubs and further  in the 60's and also smoked at home .I rarely cleaned much though it always had a reasonable  finish except in corners  due to handliing and playing .Move on 30 years and I decided to really clean it up.I was gobsmacked that the brown crud that came out of the corners   still smelled of smoke after all that time .I had long given up a weed of any kind  .It was orrible and down my lungs still probably .