Patrick Eggle but not Patrick Eggle’s Eggles...circa 2005

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72402
    Well, they made at least one :). He does say it's a prototype...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Seems like he had Patrick fair and square but the line "“Patrick James Eggle is attempting to capitalise on our development of the brand name" did make me chuckle, given how all but the most hardened Eggle fans didn't even know about it and probably weren't interested because they aren't "proper" Eggles!  :)
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Regarding Tiggle’s amp venture, it was a Class D design. There were a load of them in the last and next Gardner Hosgate auction if you venture to their site. Not fetching a lot and all prototypes. I’m trying to remember who built them. IIRC, it was a UK amp builder that was widely known to be argumentative and may even have frequented this forum (or previous iterations) and left in a huff/was banned. Come on some one....prompt me! Always fell out with people.

There’s lots of issues around the 2000 onward guitars. The PEG forum covers a lot of them but you need to go to the non-legendary years to dig it out. Gordon’s a nice guy though. Just a shame he went off piste....
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Parker said:
    Regarding Tiggle’s amp venture, it was a Class D design. There were a load of them in the last and next Gardner Hosgate auction if you venture to their site. Not fetching a lot and all prototypes. I’m trying to remember who built them. IIRC, it was a UK amp builder that was widely known to be argumentative and may even have frequented this forum (or previous iterations) and left in a huff/was banned. Come on some one....prompt me! Always fell out with people.

There’s lots of issues around the 2000 onward guitars. The PEG forum covers a lot of them but you need to go to the non-legendary years to dig it out. Gordon’s a nice guy though. Just a shame he went off piste....
    Stewart Ward?   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72402
    Parker said:
    Regarding Tiggle’s amp venture, it was a Class D design.
    Which is hilarious when you read the description in the catalogue...

"The most efficient amplifier in the world is the Wave Modulator or Class 'D' (not Digital but the fourth development i.e. Class A, B, C and D). This requires two amplifiers working together, one amplifies the upper half of the wave and the other the lower half."

Class D is certainly efficient but that is NOT how it works at all, in fact that's more or less a description of Class B! Class D is a switching amplifier.

Then...

"It was invented in the 1940's in England to amplify tube or valve radar waves but couldn't handle the speed of audio frequencies - until now!"

Utter bollocks. The audio spectrum is 20Hz to 20KHz, but radar frequencies are in the MHz range - ie a thousand to a million times higher.

And...

"This incredibly efficient Class A/D guitar amplifier has no negative feedback, just like a Class A valve amp."

Firstly there is no such thing as Class A/D - there are no combination classes other than Class AB - and secondly negative feedback has nothing to do with the operating class, you can have any class with or without NFB. Some guitar amps don't have negative feedback, including the Vox AC30 and Fender Tweed Deluxe, but these are actually Class AB amps.

Even allowing for the marketing department just being allowed to make up any sort of florid technobabble they wanted, that doesn't speak very highly of the company actually having a clue what they were doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Are suggesting that the marketing blurb is less than 100% accurate?  How dare you!  I'll have you know that I've worked in Sales and Marketing for the last 20 years and I have never made up, or exaggerated, facts - and neither has any of my 5,000 strong team of hyper-intelligent cyborgs, mutants with super powers and my heard of flying unicorns.  So there!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • During the early Tilley years, I sent a '94 Berlin Pro to the Birmingham premises to have a couple of lifting frets seen to as well as a general set up. The 'work' looked like it had been carried out by a tipsy Chimp. Cost around £140 to have an almost mint guitar damaged. All calls to their office went ignored and all mail was met with no reply.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14281
    tFB Trader
    The guy who builds/designed the amps for Patrick Eggle is it Dan Whitcroft-Jones  ?
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    The guy who builds/designed the amps for Patrick Eggle is it Dan Whitcroft-Jones  ?
    Hmm, may be someone different then. I recall there being just one Eggle amp that GT dragged around the shows for years that I’m sure this guy started to build. Perhaps that was built by the other guy I’m thinking of? I’m at the age where everything is hazy. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14281
    tFB Trader
    Parker said:
    Hmm, may be someone different then. I recall there being just one Eggle amp that GT dragged around the shows for years that I’m sure this guy started to build. Perhaps that was built by the other guy I’m thinking of? I’m at the age where everything is hazy. 
    Tell me about the last sentence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Dan is based around Merseyside with an amp workshop - I sometimes see him at various guitar shows with a stand and working with Gordon/Patrick Eggle Guitars

Not saying he is the only one involved with PEG on the amps, but believe there is some tie in at the moment