Novice mixer/input question

So my end goal for a while, practise wise, has been to have my guitar, synth, drum machine and (maybe) my iPad all going at once as a song writing tool. Unfortunately playing any of them out loud isn't really an option, so I'm strictly limited to headphones. I did buy an audio interface with a couple of inputs and a headphone out, but having to boot up the laptop every time I want to practise is a pain.

I'm looking at getting one of Behringer Xenyx mixers, which are pretty cheap, have a headphone output and get good reviews. Which once would allow 4 inputs playing without anything blowing up and/or catching fire? Does the Xenyx 802 have enough inputs for these?

Apologies if this is a really simple answer. I have genuinely tried to Google it but apparently not many people want to mix guitars and synths when playing at home.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1267
    Firstly, there's no danger of 'blowing up/catching fire'.

You will need to decide how many inputs need to be stereo or whether mono is good enough for you. I would suggest that using stereo outputs/input will sound better on headphones, giving a better sense of space.

I assume the synth, drum machine and iPad have stereo outputs. If you are using some kind of modelling pre-amp for the guitar, that will probably have stereo outs.

The Xenyx 802 will just about cover 4 stereo inputs - with a slight caveat.

You have 2 mono mic/line channels (channels 1 and 2) which would handle one stereo pair.
    Then you have two stereo channels (3/4 and 5/6) which would cover two more.
    Additionally, you can use the Stereo Aux Return inputs for an additional stereo input, level controlled by the 'Aux Return' pot but with no eq control. If you are using this as an input, you will not be able to use an external effect (eg reverb) on the desk 'fx send' as there will be no more inputs free for the fx return.

I have the earlier model Behringer UB802 desk which is very similar to the Xenyx series - they are very useful little desks.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    edited August 2019
    Zenyx 802 has 2 mono and 2 stereo inputs.
    You could have 4 sources in total running at once- two stereo and two mono.
    Or you could have 4 mono, using just one side of the stereo inputs.
    You could also use the Aux return for another stereo input if you wanted to.

Frankly I think there are better products out there than this.
    Behringer essentially ripped off the Mackie Onyx series (even the name is vaguely similar) and Mackie are generally much hardier than Behringer, but of course they cost more.

The Mackie 802VLZ4 is a better product with slightly more input channels but a batter build quality.
    It is £150 odd.

I have a couple of larger Mackie mixers in the studio that I use for synth submixers and signal routers.
    They are built like tanks and have never given me any trouble.

But the mixer will do what you want.

One word of caution, always try to buy a mixer with more channels than you currently use.
    If you need 4 channels now then buy an 8 channel mixer.
    Trust me.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1267
    I've just noticed, you could actually use the dual phono '2-track return' inputs as fx return inputs (no control over the return level)if you wanted to have eg a reverb unit on the desk 'fx send' pots (controlling the level on the fx send).
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    Firstly, there's no danger of 'blowing up/catching fire'.

You will need to decide how many inputs need to be stereo or whether mono is good enough for you. I would suggest that using stereo outputs/input will sound better on headphones, giving a better sense of space.

I assume the synth, drum machine and iPad have stereo outputs. If you are using some kind of modelling pre-amp for the guitar, that will probably have stereo outs.

The Xenyx 802 will just about cover 4 stereo inputs - with a slight caveat.

You have 2 mono mic/line channels (channels 1 and 2) which would handle one stereo pair.
    Then you have two stereo channels (3/4 and 5/6) which would cover two more.
    Additionally, you can use the Stereo Aux Return inputs for an additional stereo input, level controlled by the 'Aux Return' pot but with no eq control. If you are using this as an input, you will not be able to use an external effect (eg reverb) on the desk 'fx send' as there will be no more inputs free for the fx return.

I have the earlier model Behringer UB802 desk which is very similar to the Xenyx series - they are very useful little desks.
    Glad to hear on the not blowing up bit, I don't really want to be calling up about warranties.

I think it's probably unusual, but all of my gear will be mono output. I'm using a Joyo American Sound as an amp sim, which only has one output, and my Korg Minilogue, Volca Beats and iPad are all mono out.

octatonic said:

One word of caution, always try to buy a mixer with more channels than you currently use.
    If you need 4 channels now then buy an 8 channel mixer.
    Trust me.
    This is what I worry about as well i.e cheaping out in the short term vs. just biting the bullet and getting something better initially.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    I use a Xenyx 802 to connect 3 cheap t-bone microphones and my Yamaha keyboard to an old integrated bass amp for our family sing songs.  I play bass or electric guitar and my brother in law plays drums.  The sound is more than 'good enough', and great fun.  Sometimes we take music too seriously while, most of the time,  all people want is an opportunity to sing a few songs.  With lyrics easily available through iPad or smartphone, everyone can join in.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum