Finishing oil - rag/cloth disposal question

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one regarding disposing of oil rags/cloths. I'm going to pick up some of Crimsons stunning stains but was also looking at grabbing their finishing oil at the same time. On the website is talks about properly disposing of the cloths once used as they're flamable if allowed to dry. Wondered if anyone had some advice on how to dispose of them once you're done?
Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited August 2019
    I burn them in a bin behind me garage away from anything else flammable (soz treehuggers)

I've always been careful with the oily rags because of the combustibilty 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    If its anything to do with linseed oil be extra careful the rags have been kn own to start fires which burn down houses even with no other heat source.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Double check, but I think the particular danger time is while they are drying, rather than once they are completely dry.

Most finishing oils and lacquers have the capability of spontaneously combusting while the cloths that have been used to apply them are drying.  

That is because the drying releases the volatiles in them and (I think) the drying process generates heat too - so you can get a situation akin to petrol fumes wafting round a smoking cigarette...

Scrunching them up in a ball and throwing them in a sawdust filled bin means that neither the heat nor the fumes can safely dissipate.  And then, if they do spontaneously combust, there are usually combustibles with them in the bin.  And the owner is usually in the kitchen making a cup of tea...  You can see what can - and does - happen.

Basically, my understanding is that once they have been used, they should be laid out flat, away from any combustibles and in a well ventilated area until they are completely dry.  Once they are completely dry, I believe they can be disposed of in the normal fashion.

To make doubly sure I haven't missed anything, do a quick google on disposal of lacquer rags to confirm.  
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I chuck mine in the log burner and set light to them......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    When linseed and other oils set it’s not actually drying, it’s an exothermic chemical reaction ie it generates heat. So as @Andyjr1515 says, the heat can ignite the rag and/or the flammable gases. It doesn’t happen often, but it’s pretty disastrous if it does. I leave mine one the workbench to dry, where the heat dissipates.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Similar to above, I leave them on our garage floor to dry and then dispose of with the rest of the rubbish. If using paper towels, I sometimes soak them in water and chuck out directly, as I tend to use single-use gloves (keeping hold of the soaked items when removing glove means everything is contained, and the volatiles cant go anywhere or do anything).

Adam