Pedal size, Class D power amps

What's Hot
victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
I've just picked up an EHX Caliber 22 as a back up that I can easily stick in a pedal bag, but I have to say it's quite a noisy little bugger; there's much more hiss than my valve amps at the same volume. I've read some posts on the web that suggest that this is quite common, and I'm imagining that it's due to the cheap parts and small size. Does anyone else have the same issue?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Probably the PSU not filtering the DC output but what do I know?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Mine was noisy... I think they just are. Fortunately I never had to use it other than to check it was still working.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Best one is the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, but they ain't cheap.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For a back-up this one will do fine. It sounds pretty good I think, considering its size.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Best one is the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, but they ain't cheap.
    Bingo.

Had mine a week, and it is an unbelievable silent piece of kit. Cheap as chips for the sound it gives you...
  • Just as a little update for anyone that's interested, I plugged the Caliber 22 in again today, but this time into a cab with a Celestion Blue. I only had to turn the amp up a smidge to get a decent, clean, home volume, and it wasn't as noisy as when I plugged into a tiny cab with a Jensen 8" ceramic. I guess this is all down to the sensitivity of the Blue, which is much higher than the little Jensen. Maybe it's just my mind playing with me, as I would imagine that a higher sensitivity would amplify the noise more too, but it didn't seem like it to me.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    SD 170 - full stop. Superb.
  • SD 170 - full stop. Superb.

Too steep for my needs.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I used a magnum 44 for a good while.  Yes they are a bit hissy when turned up, certainly not an issue for me when playing.