1Q22 challenge - New Jaguar build begins - finally!!

What's Hot

Comments

•  I'm in no mood to wait
    This is why I am shying away from commission work ;) 

Thank you for the mention though :)
    Yeah, I don't blame you at all. Though if you happen to have any aztec gold Jag bodies coming up I'll get my credit-card-waving-hand ready :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
     I'm in no mood to wait

Yeah, I don't blame you at all. Though if you happen to have any aztec gold Jag bodies coming up I'll get my credit-card-waving-hand ready :) 
    It’s a double edged sword, not taking on commission work. Do it and you’ll spend half the day updating customers. Which is fair enough.. and the money is pretty guaranteed. Do your own stuff and it’s a gamble as to what will sell but no one is chasing you. It’s very hard to balance it out. Ultimately mental health meant more to me than anything. I wouldn’t say no to all commission work but 99% of it is stuff I’d do anyway for my drops.

Tbh I’d like to do a few more offsets. It’s certainly something I’d like to do, a gold jag would be cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

It’s a double edged sword, not taking on commission work. Do it and you’ll spend half the day updating customers. Which is fair enough.. and the money is pretty guaranteed. Do your own stuff and it’s a gamble as to what will sell but no one is chasing you. It’s very hard to balance it out. Ultimately mental health meant more to me than anything. I wouldn’t say no to all commission work but 99% of it is stuff I’d do anyway for my drops.

Tbh I’d like to do a few more offsets. It’s certainly something I’d like to do, a gold jag would be cool. 
    I 100% support that position, especially over the last couple of years. Half my life is running around saying "yes sir" to clients and it's painful

It is wonderful to see your success! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neck and pickguard arrived before we left for Christmas in the UK. A few more bits ordered this afternoon. I'm going Mojo for pickups which I'm confident will be a safe choice. 

Just need to get a body on the way. I owe @lamf68 a text or 3 :)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
     I'm in no mood to wait

Well there you go, do half-a-dozen of them, then you’ll have a few for stock. :-) I seem to recall seeing gold used as a base colour for quite a few of the sparklies. Burgundy mist anyone?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Neck and pickguard arrived before we left for Christmas in the UK. A few more bits ordered this afternoon. I'm going Mojo for pickups which I'm confident will be a safe choice. 

Just need to get a body on the way. I owe @lamf68 a text or 3 :)
    Mojo all the way for both types of pickups. 
    Definitely the king of all things offset. 
    I also loved his firebird pickups I had in my old firebird too. 

not sure if you have ordered the body yet but I would +1 @lamf68 and John at Rexter @rexter ;

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it develops. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    Im' now including this under the 1Q22 banner, because why not.

More parts have arrived, and I have a spreadsheet. We have a mix of Guitar Parts Factory on Reverb, plus Allparts and some contents from my existing parts boxes, including that Cobain-style switch plate bought all the way back in 2019 before the world fell apart. 

And for the bridge... Staytrem and Mastery for some exiting bridge-vs-bridge battles.

I think the only bit not ordered is now the body, and possible a mute, because I've never tried one and they look cool, right?

• I honestly wouldn't worry about the mute. 
    They do look cool though. 

I think from memory they don't work with the mastery bridge though. Something deep in my memory suggests that might be the case. @impmann am I talking total balls there?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the mute. 

I think from memory they don't work with the mastery bridge though. Something deep in my memory suggests that might be the case. @impmann am I talking total balls there?
    Nope no balls spoken.

Apparently you can modify the Mastery to accept the mute. But genuinely... I wouldn't bother. Damping with your hand sounds the same and works better than the mute.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the mute. 

Nope no balls spoken.

Apparently you can modify the Mastery to accept the mute. But genuinely... I wouldn't bother. Damping with your hand sounds the same and works better than the mute.

The mute usually makes the notes sharp from memory. Looks great but functionally flawed
    Yeah, I'm well aware that the mute is finicky and needs modding to get it to work on a Mastery. It would be much more for the look than the sound :D 

I'm actually quite interested in trying one on a P bass like the Sean Hurley Fender model, but I really don't want to drill a big hole in my bass to find out!
    I got a good email today... "Your Mojo Pickups order is now complete" :D 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055

I'm actually quite interested in trying one on a P bass like the Sean Hurley Fender model, but I really don't want to drill a big hole in my bass to find out!
    Don’t! I did now have a hole, utter garbage
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:

Don’t! I did now have a hole, utter garbage
    Noted!! :D 
    Time for a more comprehensive update. Electrics are here. I got a full Jag kit from 920D Custom on Reverb. I won't need all the switches but it's nice to have options. That bit of the "kit" arrived last week and was very nicely packed. I'm not 100% decided on a circuit yet but definitely will go for a JM style toggle, and might try series/parallel instead of rhythm circuit. 

As noted, the bridge is probably going to be Mastery, but so far the one I ordered has made itself very much at home on my Jazzmaster, so I may try a Staytrem first, though the ones I have here are 9.5" radius and the neck is 7.25". We'll see how that works... 

I also treated myself to a new fancy soldering iron :) 

And the most important bit arrived from Rothko & Frost. 2 copies in case I mess up... 

The body should be arriving with @lamf68 this week and that'll be the final part of the puzzle. I've tasked him with "dinging it up a bit" but no further instructions, so I can't wait to see how it comes out. In the intervening period I will have a go at some light relicing just to bring it all together. Particularly I guess that means control plates and pickguard - I need to find some good reference photos to get that looking at least vaguely authentic. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Aaah, the trials and tribulations of international shipping. I'm going to be a day or two late finishing, but my tracking says I have a body and bridge somewhere in Dubai but "shipping delayed" :( 
    OUT FOR DELIVERY
    Well this is a nice couple of things to get in the post :)

I'm gonna have to actually do something now!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    I call this photo “bloody hell why didn’t I build an Esquire??”

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom