1Q22 challenge - New Jaguar build begins - finally!!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
edited January 2022 in Making & Modding
EDIT: Now part of 1Q22 challenge and parts are coming in :)

****Original post: (Aug 2019...)****

This one might take some time, and I’m not 100% sure of the finished article yet, but the first component popped up cheap on reverb so I grabbed it....

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Well, from little acorns, mighty oak trees do grow ;)

Mind you, oak's a bit heavy and blunts your tools...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thats often how my partcasters start out, I find a component and then plan a build round it, great fun!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    paulnb57 said:
    Thats often how my partcasters start out, I find a component and then plan a build round it, great fun!
    Yep. I've always been convinced I'm a Jag fan but never quite found one that ticks all the boxes. Currently considering an MJT or SCRelics build, possibly with firebird pickups, but routed to fit either those or regular Jag pickups, so I can play about with it.  
    Thats joy of it, you can take an established design and mess with it, mix and match,  great fun and if it doesnt work the parts can often be recycled onto something else...very addicitve!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426

If your project grinds to a standstill, I would like first dibs on that selector switch plate, please. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    After a disproportionate amount of soul searching, I've decided to definitely sell the ES-330, and I'm keen to get on with this now. 

I'm still thinking about firebird pickups, but will also get some decent "regular Jag" pickups so I can try both options.  Neck will be similar to my JM; binding, dots, middling size C profile, 6105 frets, and very heavily rolled edges. 

And for colour I was thinking Aztec Gold until one of these lovely Firemist things popped up in Peach...  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stunning colour!

paulnb57 said:
    Stunning colour!
    Yeah I thought so. I've always been drawn to classic but little-used colours. Sherwood green on my first Strat, Paisley Tele, Inca Silver JM, etc. 

I like the classic as much as the next guy, but every other player has a collection of black, red & sunburst so it's nice to be a bit different, particularly on custom builds.

I like the classic as much as the next guy, but every other player has a collection of black, red & sunburst so it's nice to be a bit different, particularly on custom builds.
    Totally agree!

Argh.. gold?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    (Aged) Charcoal Frost Metallic... 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Argh.. gold?

Now that's cool I love goldtop gibsons but there's something about a fender in gold that just works
    Adam_MD said:
    Argh.. gold?

Now that's cool I love goldtop gibsons but there's something about a fender in gold that just works
    Yeah, and I've never had anything gold, except an MIC Burny that only listed a few months. I'm thinking Aztec would make a nice complement to my Inca silver JM. 

Hey, maybe if I like both pickup options I'll just have to build a second one in that faded firemist to use t'other pickups... :D 
  • The gold is so nice! 
    Hey, maybe if I like both pickup options I'll just have to build a second one in that faded firemist to use t'other pickups... :D 
    No brainer!

Onwards! Staytrem bridge and arm ordered. I'm also going to try a Mastery on this one, as I think the extra sustain might be useful on a Jag, but we'll see. I'll shift whichever I don't prefer. 

Apparently Musikraft have a new website, so I'll have a flick through that later. The neck will certainly come from them. Body will come from whoever can do a body dual-routed to fit both Jag and Firebird pickups. 

I'm fixed on gold for the finish having not wavered for a whole 8 days... 

Next question - who makes the best Jag and Firebird pickups? 
    edited November 2021
    Zombie thread update...

I sold the ES-330 mentioned at the top of the thread. Then I put this project on hold and built a P bass instead, then bought another ES-330 and sold a Les Paul (and bought & sold a Rickenbacker)....

And then yesterday I found a good looking nitro-finished Allparts neck on Reverb for very reasonable money. Vintage radius and no binding but otherwise looks good and I can deal with those two factors. 

I'm going gold for the body, not least because I painted my office walls green and that yellow firemist will look awful on a hanger there. 

Questions for the group: 

- Who is good for reliced nitro bodies and doesn't take 6 months? 

- Who makes the best slightly-hot Jaguar pickup these days? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @GoldenEraGuitars sells relic nitro bodies if you want relic, in nice colours, but you'll need to wait until they "drop".

His thing seems to be vintage accuracy with colour, which may or may not interest you. Obviously colours change over time as they age anyway, so whether this is worthwhile to you I'd up to you - once aged, they'll probably stay broadly as they are? 
  • Yeah, Scott's stuff looks really good but I'm in no mood to wait, given I know what I'm after. I've good stuff from MJT before but they tend to take ages from ordering to delivery. 

I might give @lamf68 a buzz after such great work on that sparkly Marry Jaguar the other week
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
     I'm in no mood to wait
    This is why I am shying away from commission work ;) 

Thank you for the mention though :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom