Fixing drilled/reamed pickup holes - what to do ...?

What's Hot
I just bought a vintage Dimarzio super distortion pickup, and someone drilled out the mounting holes. Is there an accepted way to get these fixed? I'm struggling to find a sensible way to do it - any suggestions? 

I wish people would just use smaller screws rather than doing that ... ah well!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I used to cut the lug off of a cheap pickup and solder it up where the old one was
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    A couple rivnuts might work, but it would depend on how much material is left, and you risk the required bigger drill catching and twisting the remaining metal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163062187617

You want the No.4 (2.9mm) ones.

Fit them with the flat side facing upwards towards the top of the pickup. The thread pitch may be slightly too coarse as they're really designed for self-tapping screws, but you can tap them a bit flatter with a small hammer if it's a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163062187617

You want the No.4 (2.9mm) ones.

Fit them with the flat side facing upwards towards the top of the pickup. The thread pitch may be slightly too coarse as they're really designed for self-tapping screws, but you can tap them a bit flatter with a small hammer if it's a problem.
    Wow ... I had visions of having to badly solder some nuts on somehow. 

Thats perfect !

cheers!