Genuine question, who has tried the Line 6 Powercab and been disappointed?

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
Just a quick bit of market research. Who here is a modelling user and tried the Powercabs but been left thinking it’s not all that? 

I guess a second part of that is who has tried the Powercab with something other than a L6 product? First question more important. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Send me one, and I'll tell you :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had one for less than a week, but erm, not disappointed with it! With a helix floor.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I had a Powercab + and thought it was very good (used it with Helix). I found it a better overall solution than the Redsound powered cab I had alongside it. The ability to remove the mic from the equation and use the onboard speaker models was the game changer for me.
    My main reservation with it was lack of volume. I couldn't get it loud enough to use in the band (and we’re not a loud band...) despite trying everything. Feeding it too hot a signal from the Helix would just clip the Powercab front end.
    The new 2x12 probably addresses the volume issue but I’m happy with my Barefaced cabs and Duncan Powerstage set up currently.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I had one it was decent but I swapped it for a a Matrix FR12 which I marginally prefer. Has far fewer features but I prefer the feel of it.
  • I got rid of mine and ended up with a XiTone MBritt cab.  I'm not convinced it was a good move.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I was very impressed at home levels but it really lacked volume and punch for anything involving drums, bass etc
    The Redsound was totally superior but doesn't make a huge difference unless you want to be quite loud to get the benefit
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I tried one at the guitar show at I was impressed with what I heard, esp using it without the cabs on. I'd like to try one in a real life situation such as a gig but I wouldn't want to spend £500+ to find it lacking. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I own a Helix Floor and tried a Powercab Plus in store at PMT in Bristol. I already own a DXR10 but was taken with the idea of the PC+ Partly because thr blurb made it sound like a great idea and partly because the notion of a mini setup with Stomp and PC+ (saving a IR slot by using the PC speaker modelling or IR feqture) was rqttling around in my head.

Anyway I was expecting the PC+ with Helix to sound “better” than the Helix with DXR10. PMT had the PC+ and a DXR10 so I set them up side by side. I started by using a patch in the Helix with everything enabled (inc cab and speaker) and comapred DXR10 with PC+ set as FRFR. My initial impression was that the PC+ wasn’t “better” in that application - in fact I was a bit taken aback at how much I preferred the DXR10. OF course this could have been fzmiliarity with the DXR but not sure how to allow for that - but I was off to a poor start. 

I then compared a few helix amp blocks on their default settings with simple setups (eg one SM57, a couple of other things I can’t recall now) with the various in-built speaker models in the PC+ - again, I was just left preferring the sound from the Helix plus DXR10.

At that point it started to feel like too much faff to keep switching speakers (I was left to my own devices by the staff, which was fine by me) given that I wasn’t hearing anything to catch my interest and left it at that.

In summary I was left feeling that the “amp in the room mojo” was just so much marketing fluff - but I stress that I know it wasn’t a perfect compairons effort and that I may well have been just familiar with my own gear and preferring it for that reason.

Whatever the reason I haven’t heard anything that demonstrates the difference/improvement in the PC approach over a more mainstream powered FRFR device myself.

Oddly also, I found myself happy to pay the asking price for a DXR10 at the time, given it’s a known thing, whereas I’d feel more wary laying out for one of these given I don’t quite get what they are aiming/claiming to do.  

As for the price of the 212 it took me aback when I read it tbh. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anybody tried the Headrush 108?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Tried one with a Kemper in store and wasn't keen, but am sure it was a mismatched speaker model now I'm thinking about it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I've not tried one. I would like to. Very curious.

Bye!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I tried a Powercab in guitar guitar and liked it, but my main feeling was that it was lacking volume
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Why do you ask?
  • I've had an MBritt XiTone, a Matrix FR12P, a Line 6 Powercab Plus.  I just got this (£215, through cheekily asking best price):

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181220336646008--headrush-frfr-108

It's not as big-sounding, because it's tiny, but it's actually mored tamed in the bottom and all-rounds sounds excellent for home use.  I'm not convinced it'd keep pace with a loud drummer on-stage but the 112 surely would.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I'd be interested in the 212, but the pricing is pretty 'optimistic' at the moment. I think if Line 6 are going to make any headway with these, the 212 needs to be more like £800, probably less. a pair of DXR12's is only £1000! I really don't get the pricing for the 212 at nearly £1300. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'd love to try one of these out, esp as I mainly use my DXR for back fill and the rest going to FOH. @rossyamaha can you send me one for real world trial's???