Laney LFR-112

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Just picked up one of these and initial thoughts are I'm very impressed

Sounds great with guitar AND bass
Loud as F**%k
Cheap as chips compared to others

Only 'con' is I wish it was a  bit lighter (it's 18kg) .  The main driver is a  HH LF-436EH, might look at swapping it out for a neo driver, but yet to establish if it's the cause  of the weight or it's the cab

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I've had one for a few weeks, annoyingly I've not had a chance to get it to a decent volume yet. I have to admit I find the weight slightly reassuring.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    Following this thread with interest as I do like the sound of one of these.

What are you using it with, incidentally?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited August 2019
    Using mine with a Helix, haven’t gigged it yet as I’m pretty happy going direct with a decent little monitor, but might give it a proper run out next weekend

going to sell all my rarely used bass gear as the Laney handles bass duties very well too
  • I use one of these with my Kemper and I absolutely love it. Loud as anything and sounds great at all volumes. Makes my Kemper sound superb. A real gem of an amp IMO. But weighs a lot!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

I use one of these with my Kemper and I absolutely love it. Loud as anything and sounds great at all volumes. Makes my Kemper sound superb. A real gem of an amp IMO. But weighs a lot!
    I think we've all gone soft getting used to super light-weight gear.  I agree it's heavier than I'd like, but at 18kg its not a Fender Twin
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    How are these volume-wise? Are they giggable?

If anyone has had the chance to compare against a Yamaha DXR10 I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. 
    Beexter said:
    How are these volume-wise? Are they giggable?

If anyone has had the chance to compare against a Yamaha DXR10 I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. 
    VERY loud, definitely giggable
    I'd say it sounds as good with guitar as my DXR-10, and for me a cab format works better too, certainly very little in it quality wise, but the variable HF driver is a nice touch which you dont get with the DXR
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    @John_A thanks for that. I like the idea of a more "traditional" look of a cab but wouldn't want to sacrifice the sound or volume of the DXR10 just for the sake of aesthetics. I'm guessing that if the LFR112 is heavy, is it likely to be an MDF cab?
    Beexter said:
    @John_A thanks for that. I like the idea of a more "traditional" look of a cab but wouldn't want to sacrifice the sound or volume of the DXR10 just for the sake of aesthetics. I'm guessing that if the LFR112 is heavy, is it likely to be an MDF cab?
    No idea, I suppose in theory mdf should be better for a FRFR cab, it’s not a lot heavier than the dxr10, but quite a bit bigger.  
  • Did you ever replace the speaker??

I am thinking about getting one.. gonna try a find one local to try out..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Has anyone compared these against an IRT-X?
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Never read a bad word about the LFR112 and have been considering one for my Helix. Decided to hang fire as the LFR212 vertical cab has been released
    #thebatesmotelband
  • My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    30kg, not for me
    John_A said:
    30kg, not for me
    Wow ... heavier than my current cab :(
    #thebatesmotelband
    I suspect the weight matters, if you want the possibility of really accurate/punchy lows in the smallest possible size. It's just, sadly, the physics of it. If you think about it, the lighter the cab, the more it moves when the speaker's pushing itself back and forth, robbing energy from the sound.

And while any individual user might not care about punchy lows because they're using a modelled tone where it doesn't matter, they presumably want this cab to be useable for the widest range of sounds.

The other thing I like about the 1x12 is that it feels hefty enough that I'm not worried it's going to drift around on rubbish stages, or tip over and fling my Helix Rack to the ground.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Everyone still happy with their LFR cabs?
    #thebatesmotelband
    Very, though I've still not used it at gig volume  :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGG said:
    Very much, gigged it a few times now and it sounds superb. Easily the best ‘FRFR’ solution at that price point

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BGG said:
    Very much, gigged it a few times now and it sounds superb. Easily the best ‘FRFR’ solution at that price point
    Cheers man, just missed out on one today ... bloody typical. 
    #thebatesmotelband