BB King

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
This is probably obvious to those that have mastered it and I’ve certainly heard many a comment about his feel in the past.

But my god, BB had a knack for beautiful and unique phrasing, timing and note choice.

I bought the tab book for live at the regal and am working my way through the 24 bars of soloing in Sweet little angel. It’s not “technically” difficult as such but it’s damn difficult to properly match his phrasing and feel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4265
    For me he’s first and foremost one of (if not the) greatest blues singers of his time and everything flows from there. His guitar phrasing comes from the fact that he’s singing with his guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Lewy said:
    For me he’s first and foremost one of (if not the) greatest blues singers of his time and everything flows from there. His guitar phrasing comes from the fact that he’s singing with his guitar.
    Very true. The seamless way he mixes major and minor pentatonic is awe inspiring.

Justin Sanderco did a mini series on major pentatonic recently which inspired me to learn a bit of BB. It’s opened my eyes for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    Anyone who tells you it's obvious because they've mastered it is lying.
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Yes, he had a fine singing voice and also sang through his guitar.  I was lucky enough to see him live several times and it was magical on every occasion.  I remember at one gig his piano man was in mid solo and BB threw in a single beautifully timed, twisted, shaken note that really hit an emotional spot and his piano man faltered very slightly.  Hit him as much as it did us out front.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    There is seemingly a desire to learn the notes and not they way they are created and phrasing, pick control and articulation seem to take a back seat
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Yes, he had a fine singing voice and also sang through his guitar.  I was lucky enough to see him live several times and it was magical on every occasion.  I remember at one gig his piano man was in mid solo and BB threw in a single beautifully timed, twisted, shaken note that really hit an emotional spot and his piano man faltered very slightly.  Hit him as much as it did us out front.

I saw him in Edinburgh in 2011. No doubt his abilities were diminished by that point (in his mid 80’s) but I was just privileged to breath the same air. It’s taken far too long to knuckle down and properly learn some of this stuff. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9743
    edited August 2019
    In a similar vein,  I've recently been working my way through a handful of Peter Green solos and I think the same thing applies - not too difficult to play all the right notes in the right order but practically impossible (for me at any rate) to even get close to his touch and/or phrasing. Even if I do manage it, I find that five seconds later I can’t do it a second time. Some people's natural sense for things like phrasing is truly astonishing. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4265
    Another thing with BB which I think a lot of aspiring blues guitar players miss is that he was very influenced by non-blues music. He cited Django as being his biggest influence from a guitar point of view, and adored Pavarotti. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Surly just an overrated hack - well to this forum anyway.

Not to me ;)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have absolutely mastered four of BB's five key techniques. They are; (1) Putting the guitar on, (2) Plugging it in, (4) Unplugging it, and, (5) Taking it off again.

The third aspect (the actual playing) still eludes me however. I've only been trying for forty years though, so...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4275
    Lewy said:
    Aretha Franklin's my favourite - but I totally get what you're saying.  Her piano playing (much underrated) had that swing and phrasing that made her voice so special.

I think some people just have music in them.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    TINMAN82 said:

But my god, BB had a knack for beautiful and unique phrasing, timing and note choice.

Agree ref the above - The note selection is by far the easier bit to copy - The other parts of the equation  and you could well end up pulling your hair out for years - With this in mind, I'm not so sure we should try to copy his 'soul' - Why not learn the notes and add 'Tinman82's soul - Yes be influenced but be Tinman as well - I also think it sounds better when you do your version of it with your soul, as against struggling to play a bad version with his soul - Hope that last sentence makes sense

I think it is like Sinatra - Easy to learn the words and melody to say NYNY but those who cover it apply their own phrasing etc
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    edited August 2019
    BB said that when he was a boy he had a stammer, and that although his speaking voice as an adult was fine, when playing he could that hear stammer coming out through his playing.  Just one example of the many triggers and factors in a musicians inner workings that contribute to their phrasing.  And odd to think that if you were trying to closely replicate his playing you'd unknowingly (unless you knew that tale) be in some way mimicing a young boy stammering.  That's all getting a bit deep! 

Saw him 4 times I think.  Late 80's in Hammy Odeon was the first and it was fantastic (as were the other occasions), wonderful sound too - 11 piece band perfectly mixed and you could hear every word and note.
    edited August 2019
    BB said that when he was a boy he had a stammer, and that although his speaking voice as an adult was fine when playing he could that stammer coming out through his playing.  Just one example of the many triggers and factors in a musicians inner workings that contribute to their phrasing.
    Another example of 'inner workings that contribute to their phrasing' possibly occurs in Ravel's Bolero - you know, the one with that da dadadada da da dadadada rhythm - apparently that beat pretty much matches up with a particular type of heart irregularity that Ravel is supposed to have suffered from.
  • I have absolutely mastered four of BB's five key techniques. They are; (1) Putting the guitar on, (2) Plugging it in, (4) Unplugging it, and, (5) Taking it off again.

The third aspect (the actual playing) still eludes me however. I've only been trying for forty years though, so...
    Well, take comfort in the fact that he never mastered playing chords, so maybe you're ahead of him in that respect?!

He was obviously just a showboating hack who never put the graft in to learn rhythm playing... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16302
    I have absolutely mastered four of BB's five key techniques. They are; (1) Putting the guitar on, (2) Plugging it in, (4) Unplugging it, and, (5) Taking it off again.

Well, take comfort in the fact that he never mastered playing chords, so maybe you're ahead of him in that respect?!

He was obviously just a showboating hack who never put the graft in to learn rhythm playing... 
    ...although if you watch enough interviews with him you'll see him do some nice jazzy comping. Then there's playing the piano and the drums, having a wonderful voice... 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Then there's playing the piano... 
    Chords? Or just single note runs?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16302
    HAL9000 said:
    Then there's playing the piano... 
    Chords? Or just single note runs?
    The only recording that I’m aware of is Nobody Loves Me But My Mother although I gather he could play more than that. Adding his humming bird vibrato was a bit of a challenge...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I highly recommend his autobiography and the documentary about him (which chose not to present his fondness for orgies, which he happily explains in his book). 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10730
    tFB Trader
    I was lucky enough to meet him and sit in his dressing room at The Albert Hall ,
     chatting about guitars for about 25 minutes ... He was a total guitar lover ... a humble and amazing man ... and I was hugely privileged to have that experience. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom