Strat wiring question - S1 switch

What's Hot
Help!

Just changed my pick guard on my Strat and now it's not working. 

It's been heavily modified, a couple of pickup changes, S1 switch installed etc, this is the first time I've really looked under the hood. 

There are two wires that don't go anywhere. One white and one black, hope you can see them on the photo. 

Can anyone see what the problem is? 

Strat wiring https://imgur.com/gallery/EYbGsWe

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited August 2019
    That is not a Fender S-1 switch. (Essentially, 250k pot with an enclosed double DPDT hanging from its underside.) What you appear to have is a Gilmour-inspired seven sounds switch mod employing an SPDT switch.

The black wire is part of the controls grounding. Looking at your wiring, I see no wire running to the vibrato spring tension adjustment "claw".

The white wire is probably intended to carry a signal.
    EITHER - between the selector switch and the volume pot input terminal
    OR - between the SPDT switch and the terminal for whichever pickup you wish to make switchable. 

TBH, a photograph from a different angle would help clarify matters. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    That is not a Fender S-1 switch. (Essentially, 250k pot with an enclosed double DPDT hanging from its underside.) What you appear to have is a Gilmour-inspired seven sounds switch mod employing an SPDT switch.

The black wire is part of the controls grounding. Looking at your wiring, I see no wire running to the vibrato spring tension adjustment "claw".

The white wire is probably intended to carry a signal.
    EITHER - between the selector switch and the volume pot input terminal
    OR - between the SPDT switch and the terminal for whichever pickup you wish to make switchable. 

TBH, a photograph from a different angle would help clarify matters. 

Brilliant. Thanks. There is a ground wire to the tremolo spring, it's on a screw which goes to the body. 

Which angle do you need to see? 
    These help?

More Strat wiring https://imgur.com/gallery/MUtGg8y
    Yes, sir. Those help.

The unconnected end of the white wire should be soldered into the input terminal of the volume pot.

The unconnected end of the black wire should be soldered into the chassis of the upper tone pot. It completes the ground path between all three pickups and the output jack socket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    Thanks @funkfingers that has revived it! 

Weirdly, the top tone control now does nothing and the bottom one controls all three pickups. Also there is a very slight hum through the amp. 
    Looking at most of your photographs, there is a white plastic "hub" part hanging away from the side of the selector switch. This is supposed to guide the metal "blades" between the sprung leaf contacts on each pole of the switch. In its present condition, I am surprised that the switch operates at all. 
    Looking at most of your photographs, there is a white plastic "hub" part hanging away from the side of the selector switch. This is supposed to guide the metal "blades" between the sprung leaf contacts on each pole of the switch. In its present condition, I am surprised that the switch operates at all. 

I'll have a look. Seems a bit of a bird's nest to me!