NGD - Unexpected Wiring...

What's Hot
LKV_JazzmasterLKV_Jazzmaster Frets: 163
edited August 2019 in Guitar
Hi Guys, 

So I was off out with the better half today to her parents, about 30miles away from where I am, and happened upon a Squier Standard Telecaster for sale on Marketplace. Shot the guy a message, haggled slightly over price, and then went to collect. 

The pictures on the ad were awful, dark light and no real close ups, all I really knew was that it was a 20th Anniversary Standard in Sunburst. There wasn't even a picture of the back of the guitar. 

When I arrived he showed me to the guitar, I started checking it overland noticed that it had been modded... to the point were, as per the photo, it has a Strat back plate screwed onto the back! I decided to take it anyway, despite the dings and scratches I thought it would be a worthwhile beater or mod platform, plus I was intrigued by what was under the back plate and for £50 I could move it on with little chance of a loss.

I handed him the cash and he asked if I was a Quo fan... I'm not but I thought it polite to humour him, he was selling me a guitar after all! He said that he attended a Status Quo gig and that this guitar was played by Rick Parfitt for a sound check and then given away as some part of charity event. Unfortunately, as is often the case, he had no way of verifying this, but it made for an interesting story. 

Anyway. I got it to my in laws and decided to unscrew that extra back plate to find a hole in the back of the guitar! Gutted! But then I noticed that it was braided wire in the control cavity and thought that was bit odd. 

Stripped it down to find that it had been upgraded with CTS Pots, a Made in USA selector switch (CRL?) and it had some capacitors wired in (which I haven't seen before on a telecaster). I was even more surprised to find that it had Kent Armstrong pick ups on it. I believe the string tree's and the saddles have also been replaced. 

Anyway, my wiring question is, what's the deal with the caps on the wiring? Any ideas? 

Thanks for any help! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Im an idiot, orange drop capacitors...  B)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    edited August 2019
    The cap connected between the volume and tone pots is for the treble roll off element of the tone control.

The cap connected across two adjacent terminals of the volume pot is a treble bypass. 

It would be a good idea if the exposed metal legs of the capacitors did not make physical contact each other.

The KA TCH "Front" pickup has been modified to two con + shield output wiring. This suggests that somebody has attempted either phase reversal, series/parallel switching or both at some point. 

Additional photographs of the selector switch from various angles might help to confirm this.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    It looks like standard Tele wiring with the addition of the treble bleed. And lots of frayed cloth wire. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    lots of frayed cloth wire. 
    Kent/Sky uses that SE Asian two-layer plastic faux push-back stuff. 

modded... to the point where it has a Strat back plate screwed onto the back!
    The extended control cavity and rear cover plate takes you half way towards being an Andy Summers "tribute". Why not complete the picture with onboard booster electronics? Either an overall level boost or a "Clapton" mid range.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Looks like that hole in the back was made with a screwdriver and a hammer! If it was m guitar I’d tidy it up with a router and make a smaller cover. The guitar was a good buy for £50.
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    50 squid -Bargain. I would sleeve the cap legs and perhaps do what @Henrytwang says to tidy the cover up. the strat  plate is a bit err creative. Then play the heck out of it.
    Don't touch that dial.