Bass VI recommendations on the cheaper end of things..

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
edited August 2019 in Guitar
Hi all, I already have a baritone tele tuned b to b, and tinker around on a squier bronco bass at home. Looking at Bass VI style guitars. Should this be in the bass or guitar section!
While the Squier would be the obvious choice on the cheaper side of things, I wouldn´t be fond of a tremelo unit on one of these. Any other hard tail options? I guess I could keep an eye out for a used Schecter hellcat.
I´m not sure if tuning my baritone E to E would be a wise thing. It´s not a 30 inch scale to begin with....
Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    The now discontinued Squier Baritone was basically a VI with a fixed bridge and an awesome paint job.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-baritone-jazzmaster-antigua/101124

To be fair though, the trem is very stable on the Squier VI. It's a bit like a wasp if you leave it alone, it won't bother you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5811
    Unless you need a little jump in quality, the Squier is really good. Mine was very stable, even with trem use but if you’re never going to use it, just take the arm out and forget it’s there. 

I’m not sure there’s a better value option easily accessible?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    gusman2x said:
    The now discontinued Squier Baritone was basically a VI with a fixed bridge and an awesome paint job.
    There is a shop near me that may still have a BNIB one of these on display. Any colour you like so long as it is black.

Another local shop has a pre-owned OLP “Bass VI” 30” scale baritone - last seen with a BKP Nailnomb type humbucker in the bridge/Treble position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @gusman2x I had one and sold it! I had it tuned b to b. Always found the first few frets to be a struggle, hence the switch to the tele bari which I use for more guitar style playing.
    I suppose I should keep an eye out for a squier. There´s a used one near me in Ire with a Staytrem bridge. 
  • gusman2x said:
    There is a shop near me that may still have a BNIB one of these on display. Any colour you like so long as it is black.

Another local shop has a pre-owned OLP “Bass VI” 30” scale baritone - last seen with a BKP Nailnomb type humbucker in the bridge/Treble position.
    Ah so these can be tuned E to E no prob? 
    Fender/Squier publicity says the Jazzmaster Baritone was supplied tuned A to A. 

Dropping to a lower tuning is likely require heavier string gauges, nut slot work, truss rod and intonation adjustment.

For retuning to the same low E as a four string bass guitar, it may be necessary to make a new, taller nut.  
  • Fender/Squier publicity says the Jazzmaster Baritone was supplied tuned A to A. 

Dropping to a lower tuning is likely require heavier string gauges, nut slot work, truss rod and intonation adjustment.

For retuning to the same low E as a four string bass guitar, it may be necessary to make a new, taller nut.  
    As Father Ted would have said "feck that"! I´ll keep an eye out for a Squier Bass Vi or summit similar...
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Well on the plus side, Sq Bass Vi's often pop up for 200 quid or less on Facebook or Gumtree!
  • As others have said, the trem on the Squier VI is stable and by tightening a single screw you can lock it off anyway. 

The quality is good, I actually preferred the Squier to the Fender Pawnshop model. The biggest criticism I have is the strings- the low E in particular is too thin & feels rubbery/slack. Hoping the guage transformed the feel, tone & usability of the instrument. 

I only sold mine as I couldn't seem to work out what it was FOR. It's brilliant fun though. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I've had two squier bass vi's, still got one. Stock strings are rubbish, bought a replacement set from newtonestrings.com. decided to get a staytrem for it too. It's great, being such a niche instrument I don't really see much need to pay any more, unless it's your primary instrument.

Bonus if you get the new classic vibe version is a better quality tort pickguard.  The one on my vintage modified is a joke.
    I couldn't seem to work out what it was FOR. It's brilliant fun though. 
    Exactly these two points.

The Squier VM Bass VI is highly affordable, decidedly different and an excellent platform for modifications.

IMHO, it is no use whatsoever as a regular bass guitar. (The strings are too close together and the stock machineheads, vibrato bridge and tailpiece conspire to create tuning stability issues.)

It can be useful for “tic tac” duties in recording situations.

Tuned ADGCEA or BEADF#B, the instrument is a gateway to the wonderful world of Baritone. 

That, as Bruce Springsteen used to say, is where the fun is.

• I'll have a think. Seems like a very interesting instrument, but would I really use the B and E strings as opposed to getting by at home on a bass guitar. Depends what I want out of it I suppose...
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have the Pawnshop VI and love it. While I don't generally use it as a normal bass guitar, I did do one gig with it as such and it worked fine, although it did feel a bit odd!

I have had no tuning stability issues with it at all, nor on any other of my Fender offsets and I wonder why this keeps getting mentioned, as I don't know anyone else that has this problem either.

The strings as supplied are not good. Apparently Axiom does a decent set for about sixteen quid and I really need to get some to try out. The bridge needs replacing with a Staytrem to get the intonation spot on. The bottom two strings on mine won't intonate properly and its noticeable up the dusty end.

I'd ideally like to get a Squier VI as well and have it tuned DADGAD.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1495
    I have the Squier Bass VI and have used it at a gig for a couple of songs.  I did quite a lot of upgrades on mine, some of which I think you need to do and some because I had the opportunity.  Put a Staytrem Bass VI bridge on it, it makes a world of difference.  Change the strings to La Bella Bass VI strings, they make a world of difference and the low E feels much better.  I also upgraded the pickups to a set of Bare Knuckles, but that was my own choice and you don't need to (though I would change the plastic pickup covers to a better grade.  I think Marc at Mojo also makes a set.  

I don't use the tremelo but don't have tuning problems with it either.  It's a fun bass.  I use it on our cover of the Gin Blossoms Hey Jealousy, as it lets me play more of a rhythm guitar pattern.  I should add that I do play both guitar and bass, but I am still playing this as a bass.  I do't really think you could play it as a baritone guitar without totally changing the string gauges.
  • At the moment I have a baritone , a short scale bronco bass and looking st a bass VI....