Surf green partscaster strat build - finished, pics

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited September 2019 in Making & Modding
Thought I'd do a thread for this one also - mad, but I have two build projects going on at the moment. This one is a Surf Green strat build, using a body from Northwest Guitars, and a Mighty Mite one piece maple neck that used to be on another of my guitars. So without going into a load of tedious description, I thought I'd just post the pics of the build so far - it's going ridiculously easily, and I haven't got to do any filing of the scratchplate at all, which is a first. Also the existing fixing holes drilled into the neck heel work perfectly and don't have to be filled/re-drilled. I guess the trickiest bit has been getting the fixing holes for the bridge drilled in the right place. Pickups are a set of Maida Vale Bluefire from a maker on ebay - an alnico 3 neck and alnico 2 middle and bridge. Wilkinson trem bridge unit and the neck already has a set of Wilkinson EZ lok machines fitted, which will do just fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

It's an "aged pearloid" scratchplate, and the pickup covers/knobs are in a mint green off-white colour. Going for a kind of modernised take on a vintage look I suppose. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I love green strats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Nice colour :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I love green strats
    Nice colour :)
    Thank you - it is a nice colour I agree, I find it refreshing to look at. I had been thinking in terms of Daphne Blue, but got swayed by the surf. :)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    difficult to beat a surf green strat.  Looks great.
    munckee said:
    difficult to beat a surf green strat.  Looks great.
    I am liking it a lot, cheers @munckee :)
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Looking good dude
      (My surf greenie is in my sig pic) 

The nw bodies look decently made (apart from hooky trem screw holes lol )
    MLten80 said:
    Looking good dude
      (My surf greenie is in my sig pic) 

The nw bodies look decently made (apart from hooky trem screw holes lol )
    Thank you! Re the trem screw holes, it would have been helpful if those were pre-marked at least - but still thought I'd done a decent job with those anyhow, might not look quite straight on the pic, but I promise it's good. Otherwise, yes the quality is pretty good - paint job well done and not too thick, seems like nice resonant alder wood. Liking the look of your own surf greenie there anyhow @MLten80 , agree it is an excellent colour.
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited August 2019
    Definitely 
     Ive wanted a green strat or jag forever
     But limited £ & a free block of sapele resulted in that
     Itch scratched for now haha

Will be keeping an eye on the thread, should be a classy number when finished 1 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286

Please tell me that's not parcel tape!? It's a bugger to get off if left fro any length of time, and leaves a horrible residue. Masking tape is your friend!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    MLten80 said:
    Definitely 
     Ive wanted a green strat or jag forever
     But limited £ & a free block of sapele resulted in that
     Itch scratched for now haha

Will be keeping an eye on the thread, should be a classy number when finished 1 
    Appreciate your interest @MLten80 . Most impressed you produced that lovely guitar starting from a block of sapele, wouldn't have a clue how to do that myself so nice job there. :)
    Keefy said:

Please tell me that's not parcel tape!? It's a bugger to get off if left fro any length of time, and leaves a horrible residue. Masking tape is your friend!
    Afraid it is parcel tape @Keefy ; eek, but it was only there briefly while I marked up the drilling positions, all gone now, and I seem to have got away with it. Won't do it again, promise. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2019
    Can't be arsed to go into any great detail and you all know what's what anyhow - also the pics are pretty self explanatory. So just going to post a few showing some bits of work involved and then some of the completed guitar. It's already done a gig (pop/rock/disco/funk covers band) and it performed extremely well. I'm really pleased with the Maida Vale Bluefire pickups I used - they have a good crisp edge but also decent warmth and body to the tone and the guitar tone cut through the band nicely. Used a Dan Armstrong blend circuit which someone posted on here, and it's great and very versatile.

Pleased with the locking tuners I used, which were a set of Axesrus Aluminium Lockers - to me they look elegant, and the quality - both finish and precision - is very high.

The nut still needs the top taking down a bit I know - slots look a bit deep at the moment. Used a Graph Tech Tusq one for what it's worth - it does work well I have to say.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What a lovely looking Strat.
    proggy said:
    What a lovely looking Strat.
    Thank you kindly! :)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Good old dan Armstrong.

all my strats are wired up like that... all strats should be!

noice build!
    poopot said:
    Good old dan Armstrong.

all my strats are wired up like that... all strats should be!

noice build!
    Thank you! Probably yourself who alerted me to the Armstrong blend circuit @poopot, in which case I must thank you! I've used various circuits with strats in the past, but in terms of simplicity and providing useful extra sounds and tone-shaping capability, this is definitely the one. :)
  • Looks beautiful!  Gold star, smiley face - no mistake!