CITES For Rosewood to be exempt

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
in Guitar tFB Trader
Meeting currently held in Geneva and they have voted to exempt rosewod from musical instruments - This of course won't include Brazilian Rosewood - Existing rules will still apply to Braz r/wood - see notes below released to our trade body, the MIA

are delighted to bring you the news that the CITES meeting in Geneva have voted IN FAVOUR of allowing exemptions for musical instruments made with rosewood…

As you know, the International Coalition from our industry had made a compelling case for these changes and we are now just waiting for the final ratification, which is due in a matter of hours.

Here is the very good news about all four items that were the focus of our groups’ efforts. All of these items have completed consideration at the committee level and will be up for formal adoption by the CoP by the end of the day tomorrow.

Prop. 52 Dalbergia Annotation #15

The proposal by Canada and the EU was accepted by consensus, with the part c exemption for finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories – and the related definitions that we supported – fully intact! Revisions were made to part b. of the annotation to expand the weight limit to 10kg per shipment, to accommodate handicrafts, both shipped and as personal effects. The proposal also includes a mandate for the Secretariat to undertake a study to assess the impact of Annotation #15’s exemption for finished products up to 10kg per shipment and finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories. If undertaken, the results of the study would be reviewed by the Standing Committee, to potentially inform an amendment proposal for CoP19. In other words, the discussions about further improving Annotation #15 will continue in the next three years.

It is of note that the Annotations Committee will also be re-established to review all annotations. And, in a separate decision, a mandate was created to study rosewood and potentially convene related workshops before CoP19.

The new exemptions go into effect 90 days after adoption.

Prop. 57 Cedrela

The proposal from Ecuador was annotated with #6 to require permits only for logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, and plywood, with a limited application to neotropical species. This means that musical instruments containing cedrela will not require CITES permits.

Prop. 13 Mammoth

The proposal was withdrawn by Israel, in response to objections from the Secretariat and Parties, primarily to do with the extinct species being outside the scope of the Convention. A new decision was accepted, directing the Secretariat – subject to external funding – to conduct a study on how trade in mammoth impacts trade in elephant ivory. If undertaken, the findings would be reported to the Standing Committee, which might inform proposals for CoP19.

Doc. 56 Simplified Procedures (relevant to the Musical Instrument Certificate)

A resolution was approved to initiate an new effort to streamline and simplify permit requirements for “the international movement of CITES specimens where the trade will have a negligible impact on the conservation of the species concerned.” This language was added and endorsed by the US and the EU with the intention that it will address the non-commercial cross-border movement of musical instruments, and result in a proposal for CoP19 to reduce the burdens associated with the CITES Musical Instrument Certificate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    That's very good news. The last point (Doc 56) will be especially welcome to small scale sellers and individuals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    Common sense has broken out - hooray!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Fantastic news.

<Slopes off to the Ishibashi website>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited August 2019
    Sorry, where does it specify Brazlian Rosewood is still sanctioned?

And as an aside, assuming my 65 Jag has a Brazilian rosewood board, what can/can't I do with it? Someone said the other day that I can't even gig it if I'll be earning money doing so which seems mental!
  • BoltersBolters Frets: 41
    That is good new. Thanks.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Common sense has broken out - hooray!

I think the issue regarding new guitars was more to do with that they had little notice - Yes we all need to be aware of environmental issues and the guitar world has to stop using rosewood then fine - But give the industry notice and time to adjust

Regarding used, then it appears silly trying to restrict the industry when the 'damage to the environment' has already happened - Yet in reality the used industry should be applauded for effectively recycling
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    Sorry, where does it specify Brazlian Rosewood is still sanctioned?

And as an aside, assuming my 65 Jag has a Brazilian rosewood board, what can/can't I do with it? Someone said the other day that I can't even gig it if I'll be earning money doing so which seems mental!
    Braz rosewood has had a separate restriction since 1992 and is not even open for negotiation - So it does not need to be detailed in this update

Yes you are 'legally' correct about gigging and what CITES class as commercial gains - Same as trying to sell it - Yet in reality everyone ignores it , both gigging and buying/selling - More of an issue if travelling through customs borders - Best bet is just be careful and if ever listing it for sale just list as a 65 Jag and not a 65 Jag with Brz board - Those in the know would not need to ask about the board

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    impmann said:
    Fantastic news.

These amendments don't come into force for 90 days... ;)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

Very good news. How would you interpret this decision with regards to blank timber as made up for fingerboards/back&side sets etc? Would they come under 'parts and accessories'?

Adam

Kalimna said:

Very good news. How would you interpret this decision with regards to blank timber as made up for fingerboards/back&side sets etc? Would they come under 'parts and accessories'?

Adam

I believe unfinished wood doesn’t count as far as the loosening of the rules go, so if there was any additional bureaucracy in importing wood before then there will continue to be now. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Thanks Guitars4you for all the updates, pleased common sense has prevailed :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Whitecat said:
    impmann said:
    Fantastic news.

These amendments don't come into force for 90 days... ;)
    Awww sheet
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Whitecat said:
    Kalimna said:

Adam

I believe unfinished wood doesn’t count as far as the loosening of the rules go, so if there was any additional bureaucracy in importing wood before then there will continue to be now. 
    Thats what i thought. Shame.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Great news, when does this kick in?

Great news, when does this kick in?
    Meant to be 90 days from final approval which is meant to be today I think? So end of November... hopefully. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1734
    Good to hear. I've imported four guitars from the US over the last year or so - two with rosewood boards, the others had maple and ebony - all went without any issue.

For the two rosewood boarded guitars, the process was actually pretty straightforward and I had some help from friendly contact in the US (Hamer Fan Club Forum Member) who covered off all the paper work and process for me, and arranged the final leg transport to the UK of the guitars in question. the cost for the forms and process came out at $70 per guitar for the certificates.

I had bought well, so this cost on top of import and VAT was OK to bear - if thats going away soon, then thats another £40 of cost to avoid in future.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • bluenilebluenile Frets: 48
    This is great news,I'm wondering though if manufacturers will go back to rosewood given the use of pau ferro etc on more budget models in recent years? Anyone have any insights into the price of indian laurel/pau ferro vs rosewood?
    edited August 2019
    bluenile said:
    This is great news,I'm wondering though if manufacturers will go back to rosewood given the use of pau ferro etc on more budget models in recent years? Anyone have any insights into the price of indian laurel/pau ferro vs rosewood?
    Pau Ferro tends to be more expensive than rosewood. 

I think it’s unlikely companies will switch back, as the raw material supply chain is still pretty tricky to navigate. The new exemptions are only for finished instruments.