Edge II tuning issues, recommendations?

What's Hot
DanielArDanielAr Frets: 0
edited October 2019 in Guitar
Hi Everyone,

Can you help? I have a JS100 with an edge II floyd rose trem. It doesn’t return back to pitch after whammy abuse. The last thing I’ve tried is rounding off the knife edges and applying lube. If this still doesn’t fix it I’m thinking of replacing/upgrading the whole tremolo unit to an edge III or something else entirely. Instrumental tones

Can anyone recommend a mid priced tremolo system (budget £80-150) for a floating bridge setup that’s very responsive and simply won’t go out of tune after maximum whammy abuse? I’ve heard that GOTOH is good. Re drilling the holes for the pegs/studs is obviously something I’ll have to do to make it fit the Ibanez. 
Beautiful guitar playing: https://phoneringtones.info/beautiful-guitar-playing-10404.html

Thanks !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Found this on it - there's probably more on Jemsite somewhere: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446505

I'd check the trem is resetting to the proper position first before doing anything - the knife edge should be flush with the body. If it's not doing that (or isn't flush in the first place) then you need to get it level. If it still isn't sitting flush then the knife-edge may be worn. 

There's an original Edge (although I haven't been over it in detail to make sure it's genuine) on eBay for £99. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBANEZ-EDGE-TREMOLO-JAPANESE/264441494185?

Cottams guitars are worth a look too, they have Ibanez spares/replacements.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Are the Edge II knife edges removable or integral to the baseplate casting?

Refacing the knife edges obliges you to reset the intonation. (Fun job!)

Schaller 371 is extremely well made yet affordable. 

On the majority of FR-inspired vibrato bridges, the insert spacing is standard. If you are lucky, the Ibanez thread pitch might match that of the replacement. Failing that, you just need to extract the original inserts. (If you are not confident, hand this task over to a reputable guitar technician.)

Ultimately, the JS100 is a relatively low budget model. There comes a point when it is difficult to justify throwing the price of an Original FR at it.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    DanielAr said:

The last thing I’ve tried is rounding off the knife edges and applying lube.
    Rounding off the edges will definitely help it stick out of tune.

Knife edges need to be sharp, that's why they're called that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    In what way does it not return to pitch?

After you dive down on the bar do the strings go sharp or flat? Similarly when you pull up what happens to the tuning afterwards?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    It's a design fault on the knife-edge of this particular model...it's lower budget, and from the other stuff I've read now that I remembered vaguely from years ago, it's a softer material used for the knife-edge. The original Edges are great, I've had them (or variants) on all the Jems/Universes I've owned over the years and had no tuning problems. If it's not sitting flush with the body, get it doing that - if it's still going out/not returning to the flush position, then it's probably the knife-edge. And yes, rounding it off will probably make the whole thing wonkier. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Find an original edge or lo-pro edge.....if need be save for one - they are excellent (but not cheap)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom