Shot in the dark / one that got away

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2399
I've posted about this before but I was looking at the photos again this week and this guitar will not leave my brain.

This Les Paul Studio was posted for sale on eBay/Gumtree (not sure if it was here, can't find it) in 2017, and was up for weeks and weeks and weeks, and by the time I'd finally decided to go for it, someone beat me to it the night before. I'm not sure if it's a refinish or a really rare colour, but the 3-piece top with the scraped binding and faded hardware was enough for me to not mind the neck repair - I remember it being mentioned in the ad but can't see anything in the photos. And besides, they're apparently stronger once repaired anyway.

I know the chances of this are a million to none, but if anyone has or knows the person who has this guitar, let it be known it would have a very willing buyer were it to be put up for sale.
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Never seen it before. Looks nice though. Be prepared to be haunted for the rest of your life about it!

About 12 years ago there was a tele shaped guitar with a damaged floyd rose on Gumtree. I was desperate for it but I tried to haggle 'a bit' and it got sold to someone else. Kicked myself ever since and never seen anything quite like it again ...
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2399
    I feel your pain! I think I look for this one more than the six guitars that were stolen from me the same year.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I missed out on a Telecaster with jumbo stainless frets on here a couple of weeks ago, I've been looking for one with jumbo frets since- Think I'll end up buying a normal 52 RI and re-fretting it myself.
  • That is very nice! Similar to the seafoam green one they do now, but nicer
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Yes, I can see why you want to find that!

I'm sure it's a refinish - firstly I don't think they ever did a Studio in that colour or with scraped binding (not sure Gibson does that at all), and secondly I think the top would have been rejected for a transparent colour... but the 'defects' in the maple only add to its character and appeal, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited August 2019
    Whats with the scarfe joint midway down the neck? Thats not a regular way to fix a neck break on what should be a one piece neck (barring the headstock wings of course)

Whats with the scarfe joint midway down the neck? Thats not a regular way to fix a neck break on what should be a one piece neck (barring the headstock wings of course)
    That's an extremely good way to fix it, especially if it was a badly shattered break or if the grain direction at the weak point was badly chosen - common on Gibsons. In fact, it's how Gibson should make them in the first place really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yes, I can see why you want to find that!

I'm sure it's a refinish - firstly I don't think they ever did a Studio in that colour or with scraped binding (not sure Gibson does that at all), and secondly I think the top would have been rejected for a transparent colour... but the 'defects' in the maple only add to its character and appeal, for me.
    Right? It just oozes character. I live in hope...
    Tim
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    ICBM said:
    That's an extremely good way to fix it, especially if it was a badly shattered break or if the grain direction at the weak point was badly chosen - common on Gibsons. In fact, it's how Gibson should make them in the first place really...
    But presumably this means half the neck has been transplanted from another guitar?
    Philly_Q said:

But presumably this means half the neck has been transplanted from another guitar?
    More likely that the headstock end is a new replacement, with the original facing. The shaping at the corners under the E tuners doesn’t look quite standard, and the serial number is not in the usual place - it’s normally higher up.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    3 piece top? Reckon its been a stripped guitar that turned out to have flamed top just by luck. It looks cool!
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Is it 100% legit?
    King85 said:
    Is it 100% legit?
    Seems to be - if not it's decent quality. No veneers anywhere and the hardware is all USA from what I can see. And I've stared at it a lot.
    Tim
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2272
    Do Studios have binding? I thought that they were"naked" from that perspective.
    timmypix said:
    King85 said:
    Is it 100% legit?
    Seems to be - if not it's decent quality. No veneers anywhere and the hardware is all USA from what I can see. And I've stared at it a lot.
    It looks it to me, apart from the far end of the neck!

Adey said:
    Do Studios have binding? I thought that they were"naked" from that perspective.
    No - nor does this... it's scraped back to the natural maple, like a PRS.