When I listen to it now, it´s pretty s**t isn't it?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
edited August 2019 in Music
Over the last year I've been thinning the herd of CDs and music DVDs at home and got rid of a good bunch of them, and paired it down to the "best of". While I'm still listening to these, what I thought were "best of" my collection, a lot of them don't sound as good to me as they did 20 years ago.
Stone Temple Pilots is one example. Went through a few of their albums earlier, and wasn't as blown away as I thought I should be, or was 10 years ago even. So these might get culled from the "best of" as well. All my Metallica and Megadeth stuff has gone.
Same with Doves. Now Doves have some brilliant brilliant songs, but I find it hard sometimes to get through their albums in one go, so they had to go to the charity shop as well!
Blur is also hovering on the out tray...
I know as we get older, our musical tastes change, but I'm still a guitar man at heart, so arguing with myself these days as to whether what I was into back in the 90s was good or not good....
At this stage, I might pair my collection down to 10 CDs!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I’ve done the same with my collection of vinyl and cds. A very melancholy experience. A lot was chucked and some of the vinyl kept only for sentimental reasons - knowing I’d never actual listen to them again. Most of it just sounds pedestrian, and all the classics like Bowie, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, etc I have played to the absolute death. I just don’t listen to much music anymore, or have the time to. Although, I’m relatively new to learning guitar which maybe a subconscious substitute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    To be fair I never held the Stone Temple Pilots very highly in my list of bands yo listen to, Not even 20 odd years ago.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    How could you... I’d throw away my CD player before I throw away my Metallica CDs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @robgilmo True, but I thought they were amazing years ago. Now I revisit, and I´m not too fussed...
    On the other hand, I hummed and hawed about Faith No More for years, and revisited them lately, and they´re / were bloody brilliant.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    I think with a lot of it, there were the odd few good/great songs but as a whole the albums didn't have enough about them.. I take it Oasis went years ago  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup Oasis all gone too though was never a big fan anyway.
    Going through the Blur stuff now to see if they will be saved from the final cull.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    @Creed_Clicks Modern Life is Rubbish is probably my favourite Blur album.

I revisited it a while ago after not hearing it for years, such a unique collection of songs by a band at a crossroads in their career, its originality means it hasn't really aged.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3879
    I sometimes find it difficult listening to music I liked as a kid, not because of the songs, but because of the dated production. Luckily, remastered versions pop up on Spotify now. Nevermind and Siamese Dream are two that I've really enjoyed. Core by Stone Temple Pilots is a prime example of an album that needs remastering IMO. Great songs, but sounds dodgy these days.
  • @Lebarque yep, first 2 STP albums really need some treatment. Tiny Music still sounds good though.
    @skay About half of each album post Parklife, skipping The Great Escape, is really good. Think Thank has some brilliant stuff on it, but some other stuff which is meh, to me....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    I find that your tastes change a bit over time, but also you can be affected by your mood, and your end goal, "confirmation bias" plays a big part.

Ultimately, the idea of any kind of "objective standard" in music that is competently played on a record is basically nonsense anyhow, so as your taste varies your idea of quality will.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    So true @darthed1981 as a teenager in the early 90's I wouldn't have given the time of day to bands like The Chameleons (hated that dated 80's sound), but from discovering them on a recent thread here, I'm currently mildly obsessed with their Script of the Bridge album.

Only recently got into the Cure and Depeche Mode, so time passed can also work the other way, and things I would have hated in the past are now on regular rotation. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Lebarque said:
    I sometimes find it difficult listening to music I liked as a kid, not because of the songs, but because of the dated production. Luckily, remastered versions pop up on Spotify now. Nevermind and Siamese Dream are two that I've really enjoyed. Core by Stone Temple Pilots is a prime example of an album that needs remastering IMO. Great songs, but sounds dodgy these days.
    The dodgyness and varying production styles are a part of the charm! Especially for rock albums, I wouldn't want everything to have a hi-fi cinematic sound.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    I think as kids we had our image to think about , you couldnt roll up to a mates party with an Erasure CD.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Image was everything. Buts it's hard to remain in my teens and twenties when I'm in my fifties.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    @robgilmo True, but I thought they were amazing years ago. Now I revisit, and I´m not too fussed...
    On the other hand, I hummed and hawed about Faith No More for years, and revisited them lately, and they´re / were bloody brilliant.
    Faith no More are superb, the live at Brixton academy version of War Pigs was a teenage favorite and still is.

But I'd never throw any music away, maybe thats why I'm feeling cluttered?
  • Well I gave most of it to charity shops or music shops that sell used albums. To be honest I don’t miss what I’ve given away and I don’t really touch what I’ve kept! I almost always listen to music digitally, either from my hard drive or streaming ...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6084
    Lebarque said:
    I much prefer sixties and seventies production - it has warmth and atmosphere as opposed to modern production which is largely cold and sterile. Would Exile on Main Street or Hunky Dory sound as good using modern digital techniques? I don’t think so.
    Tone71 said:
    @robgilmo True, but I thought they were amazing years ago. Now I revisit, and I´m not too fussed...
    Faith no More are superb, the live at Brixton academy version of War Pigs was a teenage favorite and still is.

But I'd never throw any music away, maybe thats why I'm feeling cluttered?
    I saw FNM at Brixton on the Angel Dust tour. L7 got their tampons out and Mike P pissed in his boot and drank it. Other than that, excellent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    Lebarque said:
    I much prefer sixties and seventies production - it has warmth and atmosphere as opposed to modern production which is largely cold and sterile. Would Exile on Main Street or Hunky Dory sound as good using modern digital techniques? I don’t think so.

JezWynd said:
    Lebarque said:
    I much prefer sixties and seventies production - it has warmth and atmosphere as opposed to modern production which is largely cold and sterile. Would Exile on Main Street or Hunky Dory sound as good using modern digital techniques? I don’t think so

Agreed. It's the 80's and 90's production I sometimes struggle with. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6084
    Agreed. It's the 80's and 90's production I sometimes struggle with

Yeah, the 80’s saw the first widespread use of the glossy high concept sound. Quite effective in the hands of someone like Trevor Horn eg. Lexicon of Love. So many bands were using synths then that they laid their own feel on the production.
    Not sure about the 90’s, they were a bit of a blur.