Adam Devlin of the Bluetones

drdavedrdave Frets: 13
edited August 2019 in Music
Devlin is one of those guitarists who always surprised me with how he played. Never to the detriment of the song, always complimenting the tone and feel of the music played by the band. There are many guitarists who you can hear and straightaway know exactly how they are playing and how to recreate it, but Devlin was always a bit more difficult to figure out. There is some really intricate guitar work going on- definitely worth a listen for anyone who may have not noticed his playing before.

Its a shame that Bluetones are lumped with the whole Britpop thing when their music was a lot more well thought out than other bands of that era.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yup, a decent guitarist in a decent band. There were a few guitarists from the Britpop era who were/are pretty good in hindsight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Adam is quite active on Twitter (and very funny, as well).  I’m sure he’d be happy to engage....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    Love the Bluetones, superb band and Adam is a great guitarist.

Probably one of the best models out there for an indie rock guitarist like me, along with the obvious (Butler,Marr,Coxon,Squire,Noel G)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    Was he influenced by Squire?

Other than the by the look, early on, that is. 
    We worked for the same company, a couple of years apart/ 
  • Reverend said:

Both clearly had a bit of Marr influence.

Hard not to be influenced by Squire I'd say in the Bluetones' genre.

As someone said above, we could probably ask him!
  • I don't have a twitter account (!), but I did find this article;

'We all came from different places musically, although we were all influenced by the likes of The Beatles, The Smiths, The Stone Roses. I was more of an ‘indie-schmindie’ kid – Orange Juice, Aztec Camera. Eds [Chesters] has older brothers so he soaked up a load of their stuff, including Northern Soul and punk. Mark and Scott were into hiphop, which I’d never really been into. Mark also liked a bit of Led Zep. There were some common threads though. Early on we were all getting into the 60s West Coast scene like Buffalo Springfield, Love, Neil Young.'

Reverend said:

Both clearly had a bit of Marr influence.

Hard not to be influenced by Squire I'd say in the Bluetones' genre.

As someone said above, we could probably ask him!
    A friend from school was a Bottle Garden fan. If I were to ask him anything on twitter, it would be about That's Entertainment in Hounslow.
  • If the Bluetones had a weakness it was a tendency to wackiness.  It actually served very well on their second album where the whole western theme was a lot of fun.

It tired a bit on their third album though, great songs like Navigators and Home Fires Burning for some reason paired with constant references to getting nicked for speeding!

Great band though.