Is it possible to 'learn' rhythm?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
On six string my rhythm playing is poor.  Yet on bass, I think I can connect with the drums fairly well.  I have looked at a number of online videos but I cannot make the connection.

Thinking about a project for the winter season.  Improving my six string rhythm playing is one if it were possible.  What do you guys think?  Is it doable?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Definitely.

Get a lesson or two if needed - far better than youtube. A good teacher will see what is wrong. youtube cannot do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Use a metronome at a very slow pace, play a simple down strum on each click until it becomes easy  and gradually push the speed up.    A lesson or two would help, I've had students take a video of my right(picking) hand while I slowly strum a few bars of an easy pattern at a slow pace.   It can be learned.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Yes, play along with either the original recording if doing songs, a drum track, a metronome, anything with a beat.

You will learn to manipulate different strum directions once you settle into a groove, so off-beats or sixteenths. Main thing is you don't lose your timing no matter what you're playing.

Rhythm is 90-95% of guitar playing and a lot of players that come to me (I'm a tutor) are very poor at it preferring to focus on the widdly-widdly stuff. Not knowing basic subdivisions, e.g quarter/eighth note and playing certain numbers of bars are common issues I see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Surely doable. Do you play acoustic guitar? I totally frowned upon it and mostly did widdly-widdly stuff. And like Lestratcaster commented, my feel of the beat and the ability to subdivide was very weak. So I now play what is typically basics on the acoustic, like mimicking drums with a percussive element. This way you very fast pick up a nice groove, at least it helped to me.

+1 for playing along with groovy players like Hendrix, and really try to "feel" the rhythm going on. Accentuate certain beats like every 1, or 2 and 4 (like a snare would) so you know "where you are".

Really focus on your right hand, and I'm sure it will pay off. Interesting aspect that you can groove on the bass but not on the guitar. Must be due to finger/strumming mechanics, because a beat is a beat is a beat :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Rocker said:
    On six string my rhythm playing is poor.  Yet on bass, I think I can connect with the drums fairly well.  I have looked at a number of online videos but I cannot make the connection.

Thinking about a project for the winter season.  Improving my six string rhythm playing is one if it were possible.  What do you guys think?  Is it doable?
    I found the Rock School books really helped me. Learning the pieces and then playing along with the backing tracks was great. They are cut down versions of the songs so you can learn them pretty quickly and then focus on your timing and rhythm. 
  • I jammed along with Down by the River and Cowgirl in the Sand by Neil Young when I started playing. Helped with chord changes and strumming.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    It is basically technique that is my problem. My default strumming action is down stabs with Jonny Cash bom-diddy-bom if appropriate. I cannot get my head around the down, down, down, up, down or similar as demonstrated by the online guitar teachers. I will contact a local music teacher and see if he can help. Thanks for the guidance, you have given me hope that this aspect of my playing can be improved. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Yes completely.
    A few lessons with someone who knows how to teach will give you a new methodology to explore.
    Then it is just down to application and effort.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796

Rocker said:
    It is basically technique that is my problem. My default strumming action is down stabs with Jonny Cash bom-diddy-bom if appropriate. I cannot get my head around the down, down, down, up, down or similar as demonstrated by the online guitar teachers. I will contact a local music teacher and see if he can help. Thanks for the guidance, you have given me hope that this aspect of my playing can be improved. 
    Slow down.
    Anytime you cannot do something on the guitar it is because you are doing too much, too fast.
    You can't eat an entire roast in one mouthful.
    Guitar playing is the same- cut it into smaller pieces and go slowly.
  • Absolutely you can learn it. All the advice here is great. Slow and steady, with a metronome and it will come.

For the specific down up down up thing, I often  get students to learn James Brown guitar parts. The chordal stuff is usually straight 16ths and so it makes sense to alternate like that. PM and I can send some pdfs in the week if you're interested.