Past 12th (A) fret access

What's Hot
GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
I'm thinking of buying a guitar that gives me better access,when playing in A key up the top of the neck than my Gordy Les paul shaped Guitar,i want to keep to 21/22 frets(I've never played a 24),I suppose a very obvious option is an SG,but in over 60 yrs. of playing I've never owned one they don't gel with me?,so i'm thinking Strat or Tele shape,but with better access than my Squire CVC, all suggestions welcome.
I'm trying to find a Guitar that will help my improve my upper neck playing it's the weakest area of my playing by a good bit,so that makes it pretty weak.
In terms of budget my Gordy is my only relatively expensive Guitar & i'd prefer to go with a Budget offering,such as squire & work with it to make it decent.
I'm too old to pay for a really pucker Gibson etc,i'd hate to buy an expensive Guitar & then die before I get my moneys worth :s .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    PRS. SE series if you don't want to spend a fortune.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    ICBM said:
    PRS. SE series if you don't want to spend a fortune.
    Thanks,ICBM.I'll start my list with these & see what else comes up,then I suppose i'll have to go the dreaded Guitar shop & try a few :/
  • Esp Ltd have some great options, both the ec range and the h range (which has 24 frets).

Ec1000 has great access and hardware and is frankly cheap used... 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Any Ibanez super strat will give you that, even the cheap ones. Should be decent quality too.
    Thanks,i've been checking these out(wow how many Models do Ibanez make ?).
    I've also read that the Jim Root Fenders & Squires have a reprofiled heel/body/ neck plate where the neck bolts to, any knowledge on how much difference this makes compared to the standard heel ?.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    tFB Trader
    I always liked the Aria PE series - although there does seem to be a jump in the price ranges of the different ranges they do now

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    edited August 2019
    I always liked the Aria PE series - although there does seem to be a jump in the price ranges of the different ranges they do now

Wow!  There are some expensive Arias out there!  I seem to remember them being staples of the cheapo end of the catalogue market!
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    GrahamG said:
    I'm too old to pay for a really pucker Gibson etc,i'd hate to buy an expensive Guitar & then die before I get my moneys worth :s .
    Buy the best you can afford - you can’t take it with you. Better die with a grin on your face.

An ES-335 has good upper fret access - I can easily play across the last frets on one compared to a Les Paul - it just sounds wank cause it’s me doing the noodling  :#

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    GrahamG said:
    I'm too old to pay for a really pucker Gibson etc,i'd hate to buy an expensive Guitar & then die before I get my moneys worth s .
    Buy the best you can afford - you can’t take it with you. Better die with a grin on your face.

An ES-335 has good upper fret access - I can easily play across the last frets on one compared to a Les Paul - it just sounds wank cause it’s me doing the noodling 

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Sadly Iamnobody, it has crossed my mind that Clapton & Gilmour don't seem to have much trouble sounding great way up the neck of a Strat, so the problem is probably my lack of technique & not ease of access   & yes a Gibson 335 would do the trick, but I have to stick to my self imposed budget.
    I've been googleing for more info on the Jim Root heel mod I mentioned earlier & I've found out that Fender also did this mod(or one similar) with the 2016 Elite Strat,so with me being cheap,i'm considering having the Heel on my CVC Telly modded to see if helps & at the same time I can Google upper neck playing on Y/T to see if my crappy technique can be improved & this is even cheaper =) .
    You never know Clapton etc,may have this mod done on their Strats,which is way they sound great,but somehow I don't think so.;) 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11907

I've played one, they are superb, less than £500, and even look smexy. :)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...

I've played one, they are superb, less than £500, and even look smexy. :)

Thanks,just checked this out,the dealers are also offering a Standard "Limited" any idea if this is the same Guitar,but just in a Solid Colour ?there doesn't look any difference in the specs.