Got Old Guitar Back Day

What's Hot
hoopshoops Frets: 227
1979 Greco Goldtop - Converted beautifully from stoptail & ABR to '54 style wraptail by Neil Ivison at Ivison Guitars. Thank you Neil, great job. It's playing and sounding really good now set up properly. Refinished and aged by Jon Crawford at Rexter Guitars. Now the guitar is put back together I am loving it more and more. Beautiful colour, subtle checking and nitro finish which will continue to age as I use it. Thank you Jon, fantastic job.
Difficult to get pics that do the guitar justice but here are a few.
Lastly huge thanks to my friend Glen Taylor aka Wishbones, unfortunately no longer with us, who incredibly kindly gave me the guitar. Hope you approve of the guitar as it is now Glen,I'm sure you do!

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341

Stunning, absolutely love it. 

Congrats. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Man that's cool
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7169
    That is fantastic. I reckon Glen would approve.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    That is stunning - congrats!

What are your thoughts on the ABR vs wraptail? Does the guitar sound / feel significantly different?

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    As always Grecos has a really nice top dish... enjoy, looks super nice.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Lovely!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    It’s a wow from me! A real pleasure to have helped with this one, especially now knowing the back story, Glen was a lovely chap.

Great to see it completed @hoops, enjoy in the finest of health :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19014
    Tis a thing of great clean loveliness.
    Who knew that D'Addario's could look so 'brash'?  ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Beautiful guitar. Wraparound bridges are so efficient, that’s a brilliant conversion.
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Know exactly what you mean re D'Addario's. It was strung that way in the guitar shop with the strings going thro' extra ball ends to stop the winding coming over the top of the bridge. The strings will be changed tomorrow and the extra ball ends removed. I just couldn't wait to take some pics and get them posted. Sorry they offended you. They offend me too. Ha!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Fantastic job!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19014
    hoops said:
    Know exactly what you mean re D'Addario's. It was strung that way in the guitar shop with the strings going thro' extra ball ends to stop the winding coming over the top of the bridge. The strings will be changed tomorrow and the extra ball ends removed. I just couldn't wait to take some pics and get them posted. Sorry they offended you. They offend me too. Ha!
    Not offended at all  ;)  I like & use D'Addario's, it was just the (to me) splash of not needed colour against such a lovely backdrop.
    Enjoy 
    :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    breadfan said:
    That is stunning - congrats!

What are your thoughts on the ABR vs wraptail? Does the guitar sound / feel significantly different?
    Thank you. Initially I like the pure simplicity of the design and prefer the feel under my hand. I think a wraptail works best with P90's and produces more mids in the overall sound. These are my thoughts and I'm sure others will think differently. I'm really glad I had the conversion and will now gig the guitar as it feels good to me.
  • Nice looking guitar! I’m a big fan of wraparound bridge/tailpieces with P90s, love the tone.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for posting this @hoops and your kind words.
    It looks beautiful, wish I could hear/play it! That's often my major frustration after finishing guitars for people and sending them back - I rarely get to see the finished product in person.
    Proud to have worked on this with two great blokes, yourself and @IvisonGuitars. Neil, thanks for your great work, hope we will do plenty more together in the future. Mainly I'm just so pleased to hear how happy you are with it Clive and think it's great that it will continue to bring joy and be a great tribute to you friend Glen.

Also @SteveRobinson - thanks again for the Crescent Bronze powders that I used.  =)
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    That's sone of the nicest relicing I've ever seen. Totally stunning!!!!